1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Hello, whoever stumbles upon this. This is the Bass Player Hall of Fame. Feel free to list a bassist that deserves an honorable mention, include why they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, their band, there basses, and songs that show there talent at its best. I will review all comments, and add any bass players I feel that do deserve to bee in the hall of fame.

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Justin Chancellor - TOOL - Has some of the most creative bass riffs in the modern music industry, also use an interesting array of effects which tremendously add to the bands's sound - Basses: Wal - Songs: Schism, Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, and Jimmy

John Entwistle - The Who - He made the bass his own, and also used many different playing styles in his music (tapping, slapping, picking...) - Basses: Fender, Rickenbacker, Albemic, Warwick - Songs: My Generation, 5:15, any one of his live solos

Jaco Pastorius - Weather Report/Solo Artist - His amazing skill level makes him one of the most influential bassists of all times - Basses: Fretless Fender Jazz - Song: Crisis

Les Claypool - Primus/Solo Artist - Although his style is too wired for most people, his music is either fast, or complex, often times a mix of both. On top of that, he sings too, which is like trying to sing while playing a solo. This is what makes him hall of fame material - Basses: Carl Thompson, Fender, Eko, Zeta, NS, Kramer, Rickenbacker,Tune Songs: Jerry was a Racecar Driver, Tommy the Cat (Live), Eleven

Colin Greenwood - Radiohead - He delivers some of the most emotional and creative bass lines in the business, from the simple, yet full of emotion ring-modulated bassline for All I Need, to the powerful fuzzed-up bass in Exit Music (For a film) - Basses: Fender, MM Stingray - Songs: Exit Music (For a Film), All I Need, 15 Step, Airbag, Bones

Michael Balzary (Flea) - Red Hot Chili Peppers - His creative use of the slap and pop technique in an alt-band makes his basslines very interesting (not to mention his very fast improv solos) - Basses: Wal, Modulus, Fender Songs: Naked in the Rain, Funky Monks, Tell Me Baby, Nobody Weird Like Me

Cliff Burton - Metallica - Cliff is metal's most influental bassist, for his use of distortion and the wah pedal, and his very fast playing. RIP - Basses: Rickenbacker, Aria Pro - Songs: Anesthesia(Pulling Teeth), For Whom the Bell Tolls

Juan Alderete - The Mars Volta - His solo-like basslines and wide use of affects make his music origional... not to mention it's all in odd time signatures too - Basses: Vintage Fender, Lakland - Songs: Day of the Baphomets, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt

John Myung - Dream Theater - He has created some of the fastest and complex basslines of all time, virtuosic - Basses: Yamaha, MM Bongo, Chapman Stick - Songs: Dance of Eternity, Panic Attack, Instrumedley

Justin Meldal-Johnsen - Beck, Nine Inch Nails - Creates great basslines, can play many different styles of music, and uses his effects in interesting ways - Basses: Has 3 dozen he uses reguarly Songs: anything off of the album Midnight Vultures

Tony Levin - King Crimson/Solo Artist - Virtuosic bass player, pioneered the Chapman Stick and Funk Fingers - Chapman Stick, many others - Songs: Pieces of the Sun, Elephant Talk, Discipline

Geddy Lee - Rush - Very creative basslines in odd time signatures, plus he also sings - Fender, Wal, Steinberger, Rickenbacker - Songs: YYZ, 2112, Tom Sawyer

Will Lee - many artists - very creative blues basslines, has great improv solos - Basses: Fender - Songs: Frosty

Chris Squire - Yes - Shows what pickin' on a Rick can do, very interesting basslines - Basses: Rickenbacker - Songs: Roundabout, On the Silent Wings of Freedom, Astral Traveller

James Jamerson - He had a contract as a session bassist with motown records for over 2 decades, and he went uncredited for most of the 60s and 70s. He has featured on more records than the beatles and was arguably one of the finest bass players of the era - Basses: Fender -
    Songs- Signed sealed I'm your's(Stevie Wonder) Whats going on(Marvin Gaye)

John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin bassist and multi instrumentalist, he was surprisingly the one who came up with most of Zeppelins riffs, his laid back style and use of chromatic fills and runs has made led Zeps music a lot more enjoyable - Basses: Fender, Ibanez, Albemic -
    songs- Good Times Bad Times, Celebration Day

Billy Sheehan - many bands - Perhaps the fastest bassist ever, this is what happens when you put a shredder on a bass - Basses: Hagström, Yamaha - Songs: All of his live solos

Stu Hamm - Joe Satriani/Solo Artist - virtuosic smooth playing style, very beautiful basslines - Basses: Fender Songs: Flow my Tears the Policeman Said

Rob Trujillo - Metallica/Infectious Grooves/Black Label Society Metallica's new bassist really proves himself on Death Magnetic with his well thought and trebley basslines - Basses: Fernandes, Zon, Fender, Yamaha, Rickenbacker - Songs: Jungle Essence, Suicide & Redemption

Victor Wooten - SMV/etc. - Known for his virtuosic playing style, whammy bar incorporation, and playing harmonics off of the fretboard - Basses: Fodera - Songs: anything he plays is godly.

Stanley Clarke - One of the pioneering bass players of the 1970s. Has worked with many artists such as Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jeff Beck, McCoy Tyner, and George Duke. Has impressive solo catalog and several film soundtrack credits. Excels on electric and upright bass.

Essential Albums: Stanley Clarke- School Days, Return To Forever- Romantic Warrior

Please feel free to make suggestions.

2. WILL LEE- Found the 1988 April issue of Guitar World with Will Lee in it, talking about how he was the first guy to put guitar pedals on Bass...

He has session work on 150 LPs in 1988- 20 Years Ago... By now ???

3. Stanley Clarke- One of the pioneering bass players of the 1970s. Has worked with many artists such as Chick Corea, Al Di Meola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jeff Beck, McCoy Tyner, and George Duke. Has impressive solo catalog and several film soundtrack credits. Excels on electric and upright bass.

Essential Albums: Stanley Clarke- School Days, Return To Forever- Romantic Warrior

4. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    There's this guy named getty leigh. He played in a band called "Hurry." He should be in the hawl fo sho.

5. If this is anything like the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame" I am pretty sure a few Drummers will be inducted anytime soon... MADONNA ??? Yikes

6. DEREK SMALLS- THE TAP- needs no introduction :>

7. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    James Jamerson
    He had a contract as a session bassist with motown records for over 2 decades, and he went uncredited for most of the 60s and 70s. He has featured on more records than the beatles and was arguably one of the finest bass players of the era.
    Songs- Signed sealed I'm your's(Stevie Wonder) Whats going on(Marvin Gaye)

John Paul Jones
    Led Zeppelin bassist and multi instrumentalist, he was surprisingly the one who came up with most of Zeppelins riffs, his laid back style and use of chromatic fills and runs has made led Zeps music a lot more enjoyable.
    songs- Good Times Bad Times, Celebration Day

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    In no patricular order ...

Geddy Lee
    John Entwistle
    John Wetton
    Chris Squire
    Paul McCartney
    Jack Bruce
    Billy Sheenan

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Willie Dixon!

10. Tony Levin
    Has played on hundreds of recordings including the likes of John Lennon, Alice Cooper, and Lou Reed among others. Perhaps most famous for touring and recording work with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson. Also known for his use of the Chapman Stick.

Essential albums: King Crimson- Discipline, Peter Gabriel- IV

11. imaccer

imaccer

Dec 16, 2007
    Lleida, Spain
    +1

Duck Dunn - great basslines which add but don't get in the way.

Hip Hug-Her, Dock of the Bay

12. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Geddy Lee: Leave That Thing Alone, YYZ, Tom Sawyer, Freewill, The Spirit Of Radio, New World Man, La Villa Strangiato, Working Man, 2112, A Passage To Bangkok, The Trees, The Pass, Limelight, Subdivisions, Red Barchetta, Far Cry, Driven.....

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Jack Casady
    Scott LaFarro
    Chas Chandler
    Joe Osborn
    James Jamerson
    Duck Dunn
    Chuck Rainey
    Noel Redding
    Jack Bruce
    Tina Weymouth

14. Um? Hello?

Geezer Butler! C'mon, there is amazing basslines, AND Basically

15. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    Lee Sklar

16. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Would be nice if there were an actual bass player hall of fame, as in a real bricks and mortar, physical thing... I think the ifs/ands/whys/why nots/hows/etc... could be as interesting as who would be in it.

17. Juan wasn't on the Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, that was Flea. I love Juan, though

18. jbassp

jbassp

Sep 14, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Paul McCartney?!!?!?? I can repsect him as a song writer but NEVER as a bass player. I don't care what anyone has to say about his role in The Beatles, His bass playing was lame. Sory to be the dick that all you Beatles fans are going to verbally assault but that's just the way I feel.

19. alanarns

alanarns

Sep 14, 2008
    Bruce Palmer - Buffalo Springfield

20. jbassp

jbassp

Sep 14, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Tim Commerford anybody? Rage Against The Machine wouldn't be anything without him. He is like not as flamboyant as Flea (not in a negative way, Flea is awesome) but really well placed and balanced Tom Morello in a very positive way. Songs: Take The Power Back, Bullet in The Head, Know Your Enemy, Maria, Calm Like A Bomb, etc.,