1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Liberty

Liberty

Jun 1, 2008
    Michael Manring

2. What? No mention of Robert's work with Infectious Grooves? :meh:

3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    to be inducted in a Hall of Fame, the candidate should have a lasting contribution/influence to the development of their profession (bass guitar playing), a significant record of professional achievements (discography) and show outstanding skill.

Several names come to mind, a fair number of those mentioned before do not satisfy all of those criteria.

The following fit that bill in every aspect:

Anthony Jackson
    James Jamerson
    Larry Graham
    John Entwistle
    Jaco Pastorius
    Stanley Clarke
    Marcus Miller

IMHO.

4. FLWing

FLWing

Nov 16, 2005
    Central Florida
  5. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Thanks Liberty, Michael should be #1. How about Victor guys???

6. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    +infinity

This guy INVENTED heavy metal bass for pete's sake.:bassist::bassist:

7. trtrzenified

trtrzenified

Jun 12, 2007
    hey for flea you should include Coffee shop and Get up and Jump in the songs too

And for Burton, Orion also deserved to be there.

Also for Myung, Metropolis pt.1 also got his trademark bassline

Also add Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne, this guy is awesome, a very percussive player, also contain some complex basslines in his playing, using various techniques from slap pop to his signature tapping.

8. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Abraham Laboriel, Sr. - Has played on over 4,000 recordings and soundtracks. Guitar Player Magazine described him as: "the most widely used session bassist of our time". He has worked with artists as diverse as Donald Fagen, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Dave Grusin, Andy Pratt, Stevie Wonder, Barbra Streisand, Al Jarreau, Billy Cobham, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Ray Charles, Madonna, Paul Simon, Keith Green, Alvaro Lopez and Res-Q Band, Lisa Loeb, Quincy Jones, Russ Taff, Engelbert Humperdinck, Umberto Tozzi,Ron Kenoly, Rabito, Mylène Farmer, Crystal Lewis, Chris Isaak, Paul Jackson Jr. and Michael Jackson.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/artists/alaboriel.php

9. Steve Bailey anyone?

10. Robert DeLeo - One of the most underrated bassists in rock. Nothing flashy or super technical, but just nice tasty lines that compliment the songs very well. I find Core, Purple, and Tiny Music to contain his best work

11. I'll nominate Bootsy Collins (James Brown, Parliment Funkadelic, Bootsy's Rubberband, etc). He helped pioneer using effect pedals with bass as well as bringing the bass "up front". He's got some groove. (Sex Machine, We Want the Funk, etc).

12. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan
    I do agree on Manring as one of the inductee.
    And I agree also on the fact that some of the names are NOT in the first choice list.
    For a number of reasons.

Why Myung? What has he ever done to make bass something REALLY important and innovative? Nothing.
    Just an example.
    It's not enough to be part of a big band.

Steve Swallow is MUCH more influential than Myung in composing, playing and changing the way bass is.
    Just an example.

I understand that each one has his own heroes, but this fact doesn't imply my hero is a milestone of bass history.

IMHO
    ET

13. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    I mean all the guys who either doubled Ray Manzarek's left hand, or did the lines on the album sessions. Doug Lubahn is one.

14. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Carol Kaye, for being there at the start.

15. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Moved to Miami
    OK...I don't want to get too emotional about the negative Paul McCartney comments, but....

You can dislike the Beatles' music, you can "feel" however you want - this is America and its a free country.

But, c'mon! How many bass players have a bass named after them? How many defined a sound? NOT MANY.

If you have a really good stereo system and some Beatles' vinyl, listen HARDER to Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers. There are some of the most melodic bass lines ever recorded on those albums. Paul's writting abilities only serve to enhance the counterpoint and intelligence of his bass lines and playing in general.

Again, you may not like his sound or his technique, but to say he does not deserve to be in a BassPlayer's Hall of Fame or that "his playing is lame"??

I encourage you to give another listen...as with many things in life, sometimes less is more!

I also vote for adding Pino Palladino and Willie Weeks!!!!

16. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Moved to Miami
    Sorry - my last message was meant for jbassp. I incorrectly spelled the name!

My apologies!

17. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    jerry scheff-elvis presley and a host of others

lee rocker-basically reinvented the double bass

tom petersson-architect of the 12 string bass

sting-frontman and bassist

rick price-my hero!!!!!!:hyper:

18. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan
    Exactly.
    Melodic bass is the great Paul's contribution to rock bass.
    Outstanding and fundamental.

ET

19. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Perhaps not the best "technical" bass player around, but a superb "musical" bass player, if you get my distinction.

20. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    John Deacon (Queen). Tasty basslines. Very tasty. Songs - nearly everything on THe Game (1980), Jazz (1978), Innuendo (1991) and a lot on other albums.