1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. rush_fan

rush_fan

Aug 20, 2008
    How about Steve Harris of Iron Maiden?

2. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Tim Bogert- funky psychedelic-motown inspired riffs, outrageous fuzz bass solos, a sense of humour, amazing unorthodox technique- and all this was in 1967.

3. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Verdine White - EW&F
    Mark Adams - Slave
    Nathan Watts - Stevie Wonder
    "Ready" Freddy Washington -
    Abraham Laboriel -
    Anthony Jackson -
    Louis Johnson - Brothers Johnson

To name a few....

There are so many unsung bad ass bassist out there it's ridiculous.

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I gotta add...

Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction/Polar Bear/Deconstruction)
    Tony Bono (Into Another/Whiplash)

5. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    sting
    roger waters
    macca

6. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    How would one take a Bass Player Hall of Fame from a bytes and bits thing (here) to an actual destination? People probably talked about a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for years before it was built. Then it was built. Now it's kinda like this institution or touchstone of documenting/cataloging pop culture.

And here we are with talk about great bass players...

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Mike Watt--Minutemen/fIREHOSE/solo work. As part of the groundbreaking Minutemen, shattered standard notions of what punk can or should be. He's incorporated funk, jazz and other genres into his playing practically from the get-go. His DIY ethic has inspired many. Basses: Schecter/Fender active P/J, Gibson EB-3. Songs: Anything off the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime or fIREHOSE's if'n.

Exactamundo.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've never heard of the McCartney bass, who makes it? I thought we was best know for playing the violin bass? :confused:

9. John Myung-Intergrating 6 strings into Progressive, plays many styles and at many speeds, all in different time signatures. Also a wiz at the Chapman stick.

10. +1 :)

11. Gary Willis - an American bassist and composer known foremost as the co-founder (with Scott Henderson) of the jazz fusion band Tribal Tech. Aside from his work in Tribal Tech, Willis has worked with numerous other jazz musicians including Wayne Shorter, Dennis Chambers, and Allan Holdsworth. Willis's latest solo CD "Actual Fiction" is being released on the Abstractlogix label this August, while this years's earlier release of "Slaughterhouse 3" continues his collaboration with drummer Kirk Covington as well as saxophonist Llibert Fortuny to form a modern jazz/funk/groove power-trio.

In addition to "Actual Fiction", Willis's solo career includes No Sweat from 1996 and Bent in 1998. Willis is also the author of four books for bass guitar, "Fingerboard Harmony for Bass", "The Gary Willis Collection", "Ultimate Ear Training for Guitar and Bass" and "101 Bass Tips" all published by Hal Leonard

12. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    What? No Marcus???

13. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Yeah, Marcus Miller!!

Though I think John Myung is great, I agree with what another poster said...I forget who, sorry, but he hasn't done much other than be very skilled. I don't really see his innovation...

I also must ask...what has Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) done that's so innovative? I haven't heard anything yet that makes him so fantastic or influential...

14. Marcus Miller
    Tom Kennedy
    Jimmy Johnson
    Adam Nitti
    Duck Dunn
    Andrew Gouche
    Matthew Garrison

15. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    Useless without Paul McCartney and Duck Dunn being in there.

16. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan
    THe point in this kind of Halls is that you cannot let enter EVERYBODY.
    It' wouldn't be a hall, but a stadium.

Therefore the choice should be done not on the the 'famous' or 'favourite' factor, but on the:
    - 'people who added sometghing important to the instrument way of playing
    - new tecniques
    - standing of role amongst band/orchestra
    - composing skills

I think (even I am a big Myung fan, just to avoid any misunderstanding) tha he's a second choice. He's a great bass player, perfect fit in his band, quite good composer. Nothing to say.

But:
    - no innovation in tecnique
    - no oustanding role of his instrument in any of his activities
    - no great composing skills
    - no 'sound': he uses my Bongo and he's simply a little bit loauder than with former basses.

I mean: excellent bass player, but not Hall of Fame.

Monk is, Jaco is, Swallow is, Manring is, Macca is, Ox is and so on....

ET (stricly IMHO)

17. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Abe Laboriel, +1.

Mark King.

18. mikedones

mikedones

Sep 14, 2008
    mike dones
    What about Matt Freeman of Rancid and Operation Ivy??

I mean he does have some wicked bass solo's

19. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    Francis "Rocco" Prestia-TOP

Andy Rourke- The Smiths

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I agree somewhat

Is Steve Swallow here yet?