1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
  2. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    This nomination might be second-team rather than Jaco/Swallow/Manring/Entwistle level, but I will nominate:

John Lodge of the Moody Blues. He's a team player rather than a star, which creates the texture of the band sound. He's written some lovely songs, he can sing, and knows what to play at the right time. He's rock solid, both as a player and a person. Many underestimate the influence of Lodge and the Moodies, and that's a shame.

My 2 cents.

3. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    Stickk quoted here- "James Jamerson - He had a contract as a session bassist with motown records for over 2 decades, and he went uncredited for most of the 60s and 70s. He has featured on more records than the beatles and was arguably one of the finest bass players of the era - Basses: Fender -
    Songs- Signed sealed I'm your's(Stevie Wonder) Whats going on(Marvin Gaye)"

I love James Jamerson, but I think you are incorrect, Bob Babbit played on "Signed Sealed, Delivered." He (Babbit) is all over the later Marvin Gaye stuff, like the amazing "Inner City Blues." I'm not sure about "What's Goin' On," - pretty sure he's on "Mercy Mercy Me." So, my point is I'm nominating the great Bob Babbit for the hall, along with another of my favorite session bassists, Joe Osborn.

An incredibly understated, forgotten point regarding John Entwistle, HE helped, almost single-handed to create the 'modern' electric bass sound. He is responsible for the introduction of Rotosound bass strings...just think what many of the players mentioned would have sounded like on flats! Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Anthony Jackson, Chris Squire, Marcus, Mark King, Victor Wooten....without rounds! Hmmmm.

4. Paolo74

Paolo74

Nov 5, 2006
  5. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I didn't notice George Porter, Jr. He should be there.

6. Stryfer

Stryfer

Sep 30, 2008
    Steve Harris from Iron Maiden had the ever memorable "klank" bass sound which implied a specific type of finger playing rather than a specific rig. Also I've hardly seen metal bassists who can match the energy and power he puts into one-tone bass lines...unless they use a pick of course. Plus I'm not sure if anyone (other than classical musicians) made the gallop rythm as popular as he did. On a side note, he is responsible for almost all of the Iron Maiden songs which are very unique.

On a side note: I own a video lesson by Jhon Myung and on it he talks about something which I haven't really heard others speak about - patterns. I think his contribution would be the progressive patterns he uses, but I could be mistaken and he could've picked them up from some other bassist.

7. What??? No Chuck Rainey? No Bob Babbitt? fo Shame, fo Shame

8. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Norman Watt Roy - Layed down the bass for Ian Dury & the Blockheads. Gotta be listed for his bassline on Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick, if nothing else - I dare ya to learn it!!

9. p-bass88

p-bass88 Banned

Mar 4, 2008
    central NJ
    this is no hall of fame with out paul mccartney period:rollno::scowl:

10. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan
    .... and including Alberete.
    So come on..... update this list in a consistent manner.
    I understand that Trujillo is a good player but please......

:rolleyes:

ET

11. Beepo

Beepo

Sep 23, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    For the HOF:
    Lee Sklar!!! For Pete's sake!(James Taylor, Phil Collins, 2000+ LA recordings, the best beard in bassdom).

Other "bubblers": Abe Laboriel, Richard Bona, Larry Klein, Pino Palladino.

And keep the pure technique-virtuosos away! What good have they ever done for anything, except wowing teenagers with non-music videos where they turn the videocamera on and off themselves? What a joke!
    Technique is nothing if it is not used for musical purposes. The bass "circus artists" and workout-masters can stick to their YouTube-audience. I will not mention names, but you know the type.. Save the hall of fame for true bass legends who have made a difference.

Sorry for ranting..:ninja:

12. tomzilla23

tomzilla23

Aug 11, 2008
    Oakdale, PA
    not a big fan but Steve Harris has to be in there

13. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I second the motion. :bassist:

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Dee Murray - Elton John - Always seemed to come up with the most perfect, melodic bassline for each style of song that Elton & Bernie wrote. Worked equally as well as part of a power trio in the early days as he did as part of a much larger backing band later on.
    Basses: Fender Jazz, Steinberger XL.
    Listen to: Philadelphia Freedom, Funeral For A Friend etc

Tiran Porter - Doobie Brothers - Melodic, rhythmic master whose versatility lent itself well to the change in Doobie sound over the years. As happy with folk as he was with boogie or even blue eyed soul.
    Basses: Gibson EBO, Gibson Thunderbird, Fender Precision, Fender Frankenstein P, Musicman Cutlass, BC Rich Mockingbird, Alembic, Rickenbacker, PRS.
    Listen to: Takin It To The Streets (simplicity), Double Dealin Four Flusher, Sweet Maxine etc

Peter Cetera - Chicago - Incredibly creative bassist who managed to make himself felt & heard despite competing against a horn section, the legendary guitar of Terry Kath, B3/piano, drums & percussion. Taking Jamerson/McCartney influences he weaved innovative sonic tapestries in the music. Also a prolific composer and singer.
    Basses: Gibson EBO, Fender Precision, MusicMan Stingray, Spector NS1, Steinberger XL.
    Listen to: Saturday In The Park, What's This World Comin' To, Dialogue, etc

15. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Nathan East: one of the most influential and known players of our time, he pratically played with EVERYONE, has an unique style, feel and tone, and even when he's playing just a couple of notes you'll recognize him instantly.

Anthony Jackson: pratically the man who has pioneered the 6 strings bass, the first to use roundwound strings and octave pedal (on "For The Love Of Money" by the O'jays), introduced various pizzicato and picking techniques and the "palm-mute-with-thumb"... a true original!

Rocco Prestia: his 16-th notes grooves have influenced also players like Jaco or Berlin, he's the essence of white funk!!

Marcus Miller: if I think to slap I think to Miller!!
    Great solo artist, but also sideman, composer,arranger ,producer and plus he plays various intruments...

Alain Caron: what can I say??
    Maybe it's not a true innovator 'cause he plays fretless or slap mainly...but , hey, what can I do, it's not my fault if he's amazing in everything he does...what a monster!!

John Patitucci: the man who brought bass soloing to another level...plus he's a great "teacher" and a solid sideman.

Jeff Berlin: my favorite chord player, he can create amazing things...he tried any technique but he chose to go on for his road, and found an unique way of playing

Jimmy Johnson: superbous player with great tone and amazing skills, he was the first musician to use a 5 strings bass tuned from B to G.

The list could go on and on, but having red the posts before I decided to put just those I feel have really created something new with the instrument, I like many players but some maybe aren't real "innovators"...

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Sir Paul
    Jack Bruce
    James Jamerson
    Chuck Rainy
    George Porter Jr.
    Duck Dunn
    Anthony Jackson
    Jaco
    Jeff Berlin
    Flea
    John Paul Jones
    Geddy Lee
    Will Lee
    Willie Weeks
    Pino Palladino
    Jonas Hellborg
    Richard Bona
    Mick Karn
    Willie Dixon
    Ransom Knowling
    Larry Taylor
    Keith Fergason

This is some of my "Hall Of Fame"

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The OCTAVE Pedal????

18. Chuck Rainey One of the most rhythmically active bass players. A session bass master that conquered both New York and Los Angeles. Innovative use of double stops. Bass: Fender Precision. Songs: "Rock Steady" (Aretha Franklin) "Until You Come Back To Me. (Aretha Franklin) "Peg" (Steely Dan) "Kid Charlemagne" (Steely Dan) Theme from "Sanford and Son" (Quincy Jones) "Reverend Lee" (Roberta Flack) "Cantaloupe Woman" (Grant Green).

19. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    Chris Wood needs to be in this list. I've never heard better grooves than on John Scofield's A Go Go album.

20. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Just a small correction for the OP:

Juan didn't play on Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt, that's Flea :)