1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Really? I knew that Flea played on some songs (with the exception of Televators [go Justin Meldal-Johnsen]) but I didnt know he played on that one. Doesn't sound Flea-ish, you know?

2. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Sorry man!
    I mean, he was using probably a pitch shifter or something else, not an octave pedal....

3. gnome_hunter

gnome_hunter

Jan 16, 2008
    Cincinnati
    where the hell is stanley clarke and larry graham. i mean larry did invent the slap, which is what almost half of those players up there use.

4. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    Stanley is the man. I saw him in Chicago with Return to Forever. It was one of the 2 or 3 greatest performances I have ever seen.

With this in mind, I cannot fathom why tour with Victor and Marcus. I think Vic is an excellent player. I think Marcus is a good player, but I do not care his style very much. Frankly, I think Bunny Brunell would kick either of their butts. I would rather Stan and Bunny tour.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think it was a flanger, but am not 100%.
    Why "sorry"?
    :))

6. NickBass81

NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Rovigo(Italy)
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    Because I gave a wrong information, whahaha!!:)

7. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    I Double nominate Bootsy Collins And Steve Harris

8. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    lets bring this great thread back. where is justin from tool?

maybe pino?
    dirk lance yet or no?
    charles mingus?

9. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Dave Meros Spock's Beard: Aggressive Progressive rock artist, lines are simply slick, listen to 'The Light' Basses: Rickenbacker

Scott Reeder Kyuss: Fuzzed out tone and aggressive style anchored Kyuss' bottom end, 'Green Machine' still one of the best Basses: Rickenbacker, Ibanez

Jason Newsted Metallica/Voivod/EchoBrain/Flotsam & Jetsam: His tone was awesome, lines were rock solid and stage presence was second to none. 'The God That Failed', 'My Friend of Misery', 'Holier than Thou', 'Outlaw Torn', 'Crash Course in Brain Surgery' Basses: Alembic, Spector, Sadowsky

Ian Hill Judas Priest: The guy has been solidly groove-oriented for 30 years...nuff' said. 'Revolution', 'Cathedral Spires', 'Worth Fighting For', 'Lochness' Basses: Spector

10. Gunnerhea86

Gunnerhea86

Jul 29, 2009
    Tim Commerford and Robert DeLeo

11. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Marcus Miller - As the bassist for "Saturday Night Live" in the early 80's MM has appeared with hundreds of artists and 1000+ recordings over the last 30 years spanning multiple genres. With one of the most recognizable playing styles in music he has written and produced gold and platnum records for artists such as Miles davis, David Sanborn, Luther Vandross and Aretha Franklin. Marcus is still one of the most sought after bassists in the industry today.

Nathan East - is founding member of "Fourplay" probably the most successful smooth jazz group of all time . Nathan has appeared on hundreds (if not 1000 +) of recordings from jazz to R&B from Pop to top 40 and commercials. A studio and touring bassist since the early '80's Nathan has been the "go to guy" for astists such as Phil Collins and Eric Clapton. Nathan is the quintessential example of the "first call or A list" musician.

12. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Come on y'all, let's show some love for the upright too:

Ray Brown
    Scott LaFaro
    Edgar Meyer
    Ron Carter
    Charles Mingus
    Paul Chambers

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Aside from all the obvious ones already mentioned, you need Peter Hook of Joy Division -- defined the entire dark indie genre with the up the neck playing & clone theory chorus. Love Will Tear Us Apart. He did a lot of the early Joy Division stuff on a Hondo Rickenbacker 4001 copy...

I'd chuck in a word for Peter Trewavas of Marillion too. You might not like the music, but they were influential, and he's a tasty player. Rickenbacker 4001 and Status graphite basses. Market Square Heroes / Grendel / Script

Tal Wilkenfeld anybody?

Robbie Shakespeare!

14. David Ellefson, IMO one of the metal bassists out there, showed pickstyle on bass isnt an easy way out of bass playing, which is pretty cool and he is one of my faves and despite myself being a predominantly fingerstyle bassist, he is inspirational to me in his technique. He played some crazy bass riffs

15. ace of bass 19

ace of bass 19

Feb 2, 2010
    dude..... nobody is gonna bring up marcus miller? fender jazz

16. willingsa

willingsa

Jun 7, 2010
    how about Sting-The police-every breath you take- Fender p-bass Fender J-bass
    Or Krist Novoselic- Nirvana- all their songs

17. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    John Deacon- Really gave Queen that awesome sound. Some of the best basslines EVER!!!

Paul McCartney- Do I need to really explain this one?

18. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

Jan 21, 2009
    PINO PALLADINO!!!

19. Magnus Scott

Magnus Scott

Jan 21, 2009
    sorry for the huge typing, but i just couldn't believe it.

20. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Marcus Miller