1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Another vote for Pino !

I also love Sting as a bass player, but I'm not sure of he belong to that list.

2. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    This comment reveals a lot about your understanding of what constitutes musicality.

3. Mel Schacher: Bassist for rock's greatest power trio, Grand Funk Railroad. Famous for his lead-bass style. Later toured with Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band. One of, if not the, best power bassists of our time.

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'd love to be wrong about this), but has Larry Graham only gotten one small mention here, and not until page 5?! :confused: :meh: :eyebrow:

5. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I can't remember what the "award" was, but IIRC, several (or many) years ago Bass Player Magazine "evaluated" electric bass players, and their "top choice" among all the fan favorites etc was Gary Willis.

It wasn't the Bass Player of the Year Award. This was more of a "Hall of Fame" type of "recognition". I think it was because Gary Willis was their view of a consummate professional electric bassist who fares well in any type of musical situation. I can't say I disagree with their "verdict" or assessment.

6. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    roger waters

7. sunny2121

sunny2121

Apr 18, 2010
    hey guys..
    did U know steve Bailey....victor wooten partner in extrem bass project...i think he has a good technique....so give the hounour to him ...hehehehehhe
    :bag: :bag: :bag:

8. Come on guys. You got a great list going, but you forgot Jerry Scheff, Norbert Putnam, and Bob Babbitt!

9. Diplowmatt

Diplowmatt

Jun 10, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Sean Malone - Gordian Knot, Cynic, solo projects. One of the best fretless players I've heard, also has a Masters degree in music theory and teaches. As far as I know, pioneered the way of fretless bass being used in Death Metal when the Florida Death Metal scene arose. Very heavily influenced by Jaco.

Songs: "The Eagle Nature" - Cynic "Textures" - Cynic "Rivers Dancing" - Gordian Knot

Played: Kubicki Ex factor fretless bass. Now plays: Ibanez Gary Willis signature 5 string.

10. Trey Gunn
    Charlie Hunter

11. Feildy - Help create the signature Korn sound by scooping his mids to unheard of level creating a sound that many bass players love to this day.

Shavo - Helped push nu metal to it's progest peak by writing many SOAD songs and having a strong tone that really came out in the mix.

Scott Pilgrim - Garage rocks finest bass player capable of root notes at there finest influencing many rock bands to this day.

Cliff Williams - AC/DC's main man when it comes to holding the line while Angus solos influenced many rock bassists to do the same helping the stereotypes of bassist being failed guitarists to it's peak in the 70's.

12. Gene Simmons-KISS
    His playing style is identical to Paul McCartney. But, he added some edge, showmanship, and business savvy to the biz.

13. Pete Wentz

14. You can't have this list without Jack Cassidy, Phil Lesh, and Jack Bruce. They were all pioneers in their own way.