1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bass player killed in Detroit carjacking Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lgrankin, Dec 26, 2015.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. Very sad. Fly on brother.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very sad, we have a pretty close community of players here. I had only met him once, but he was a close friend of some close friends. It's a sad and senseless loss. He played for some National Hip-hop acts (Ne-yo/Young Jezzy) and had played on Letterman and Falon with one of them. He also played in churches around town.
    A great player, no doubt.

3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, that's awful. Rest in peace, sir.

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    RIP.

5. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Another sad loss of talented life, and in Detroit again, my heart is heavy for his kids & family.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Deeply saddened by this.

Rest In Peace.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    We had a memorial vigil and jam to raise money for Anthony's family last night. Kern Brantly who is currently Lady Gaga's bassist set it up. Among those in attendance were Lawrence Bassman Washington (J Timberlake, India Arie, etc), Ralphe Armstrong, Larry Lee, Will Pope, TB'er James Martin and many others. The place was packed, a club that is comfortable with 50 had maybe 200. It was good to see the support and turnout. Detroit does have a pretty tight music community.

Winoman, jerry, exidor and 2 others like this.
  8. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

That is terrible. RIP, bass brother

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Please post a link to a crowdfunding site, etc. if/when available. Fellow bassists/humans will be glad to help in any way. So, so sad...

Edit (not sure if this kind of thing is allowed on TB anymore, but I think in light of the circumstances we can make an exception).

10. Horrible just before the holidays he is lost to his family

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Follow-up. I read this morning that between this event and another event sponsored by Detroit area musicians, $14K was raised to benefit the family. Glad I was able to attend the first benefit, hang out with Burk48237, and watch my son play with the all-star tribute band. Even more pleased that I was able to contribute both at the event and on the GoFundMe page.

Eric Roberson and Detroit musicians raise over $14K for slain bassist Anthony Tolson via all-star tribute concert - Rolling Out

Winoman, GregC, kobass and 2 others like this.
  12. Kim Jong Funk

Kim Jong Funk

Jun 15, 2014
    Illadelphia
    I hope the dirtbags responsible for this try to pawn his bass, and hopefully, pawn shops nearby that are aware of this can use it to catch them and lock them up. How fitting it would be if the thing he loved ends up bringing justice to him, his family, and the community.

13. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    There's a thread with a link in the misc section.

Stolen Life and Stolen Bass

GregC likes this.
  14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
  15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Along that line, if anybody has a description of the gear, it might help us keep an eye out for it.

I posted this in the other thread, but I hope nobody minds me dropping it here, as well:

RIP, Anthony. My deepest condolences to your survivors.

RIH, whoever did this.

(RIH = rot in hell.)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021