Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Player Mag is too Expensive!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I happen to live somewhere far away...
    I used to recieve Bass Player every month , about 2 years ago.
    Bass Player Mag is $29.99 +$15(Foreign Orders) for a one year subscription now.
    Thats too expensive, comparing to Cycle World's (BMW Motorcycles is my other hobby) that is just $12.99 + $8 (Foreign Orders)

I just wanted to say... That I WONT pay that much for that magazine... and that Talkbass.com is the reason for me not to buy it.
    This site gives me more than enough information to satisfy my G.A.S. desires.

THANK YOU http://www.TALKBASS.COM

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I just read it in "Borders" nowadays, unless there's some music I want to keep.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Oh, so I'm not the only one who goes to Borders and sits there and reads Bass Player rather than buying it. Good.

Also, Bass Player isn't worth what they charge for it. Hey, I love reading articles on how to build an upright bass....cough cough....just as much as the next guy, but really.

4. Considering how thick it is, it really isn't worth $5-6 in my opinion. They do have a lot of good stuff in there though, just not enough. G**tar magazines that cost the same price are twice, maybe 3 times as thick as Bass Player...

5. I don't know if you've seen them, but as alternatives to Bass Player, you might want to consider looking at

Bassics Magazine
    http://www.bassics.com/..... or

Bass Frontiers Magazine
    http://www.bassfrontiers.com/

They may or may not be any better, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The two main booksellers in my area,Barnes&Noble and Borders,have both stopped carrying Bassics,which is a drag 'cause it gives good read.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You guys in the U.S. are still fortunate!
    BP costs almost 10$ in Germany!

8. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I have also noticed that it's a pricey one, especially since you don't get much. There are a lot of ads and useless info in there. It is only occasionally that they have something that interests me. I wish they would put in some tabs like in guitar magazinez because it's fun to play songs your familiar with, not the ones nobodys ever heard of like they put in there now. Also, the absolute stupidest thing I've ever seen in there is the "flavor of the month" part where they tab out 2 measures of a ricky martin or backstreet boys song. Actually, it's not really as bad as I'm making it out to be, just some issues here and there really suck. I don't think I'll be renewing my subscription after this year.

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    The ads are what I like most in Bass magazines. They often have new products to check out and new basses to search for. Ads are not bad things. But I do agree that the mags having too much useless information (I call those things "articles").