Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass player mag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 28, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    How come bass player mag aint available in the UK? if it is where from?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Actually, BP is an american publication. It comes out of California.

...unless there's another BP(unlikely)

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you know what... if talkbass gets big enough it would be great to have the Talkbass Magazine... :) just an idea

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oh yes it is! Although probably not in the remote valleys of Wales! ;)

I've bought virtually every copy for the last 3 or 4 years. I tend to read this and most other US music mags in "Borders" - they have a coffee shop and you can sit there and read loads of magazines and they even have live bands on occasionally!

I used to buy Bass Player in the large WH Smiths on London stations, but just this month, they seem to have stopped stocking them - well at Victoria and London Bridge - the stations I commute to, anyway.

Double Bassist is a much better magazine anyway! :D

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Don't feel like you're missing too much. Bass Player Magazine has gone so far down hill that it's not even relevant any longer. I recently stopped my subscription, which had been running since the magazine's inception and sold all my back issues collection. I don't miss it at all...there are so many bass sites on the Net now, there's really no need for a 20-page magazine that's 70% ad content.

6. Lately, I've felt the same as mchildree. It's just turned into a boring magazine, and I get the feeling that the publishers really don't care. I think they're sitting on their bottoms. (cabs) ;)

Mike J.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still buy it...I still have every issue, I will continue to buy it 'cause I'm a completist kinda putz.
    That said-
    I just bought the Feb 2002 issue(Incubus dude on the cover)...after one quick 'read', this is by far the WORST & most worthless issue I've seen. The only redeeming thing is Woodchuck's letter to the editor.
    And on that, here's a snippet from another reader's letter-
    "...the style(of Bass Player)seems old-fashioned, and there's too much emphasis on doghouse-type players no one has heard of".
    More-
    "Let's get rid of these old has-beens off the cover & get up with the 00s".

I'm speechless(for once)...:confused:

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When i can, I try to find magazines from the 70's. Like a while ago I found an Issue of Jazz Magazine that had a Mingus Tribute Cover Story, along with an article on the bird, and Miles Davis. Pretty awesome...

I've bought one BP magazine in my life, and that was about a month ago. I saw Jaco on the cover, so I bought it. Whenever I see it there is always something like Fieldy or THE TEN GREATEST DEALS OF THE YEAR!!!!

Are there any magazines that focus more on technique and theory, and less on gear and rock?

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Out with the good, in with the crap?!! :confused:

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If anyone would like to lighten their BP magazine load, I am looking for three specific issues. Hopefully, you'd be willing to part with them for less than ten bucks each (which is the cost per issue, if I were to get them directly from BP). I would have to do some research to find the exact copies I am looking for, but I think one was from 1997 and two were from 1998.

Oh yeah, FWIW, I was disappointed in their Buyer's Guide issue this year (I think it's a joint effort between them and Guitar Player, but I could be wrong).

11. Interesting, because Fieldy's been on the cover once IIRC.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    He was just an example. I don't see BP that much, but when i do there is usually the bass player to whatever band seems to be popular at the moment on the cover.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, I call them instructional books. I think you're looking in the wrong place for the wrong thing...that would make for a terribly, terribly dry magazine that wouldn't sell.

If you want a more jazz oriented publication, look at Double Bassist, or just about any of the Jazz magazines that are out there, like Jazz Times, or Jazz Improv (?). Still aren't "technique and theory" magazines, but none will. They tend, for the most part, to focus on the player or other players.

By the way, since when were Jaco, John Pattitucci, Juan Nelson, Marcus Miller, Milt Hinton, Stanley Clarke, etc, part of hugely popular bands? ;)

Not done your research, eh?

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I know they have been on the covers and had articles, but it is a strange thing that i never see them on the cover in real life...

I'm not much of a magazine collector (if you didn't already figure out.)