Bass Player Magazine?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kratekyle, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Just wondering how you feel about it?

It seems many of my other hobbies' magazines are little more than giant ads with thinly disguised product "reviews" that look as if they were written by the company's P.R. guys.

I have yet to read any "Bass Player" but was wondering if they seem unbiased in thier gear reviews.

[edit]: If so/not what changes have they made over the years?

What changes would you like see?
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i like it, when i get it.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I feel like you should do a search.

brad cook
  4. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    An awful lot of advertisments and gear plugging, but the actual articles and reviews are cool and unbiased.
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

advertisements pay the bills , so i don't have any problems there .
    the reviews are cool and usually packed with good info. and pictures ... jmo.
  6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I just get the biggest kick out of the "Hands on Product Reviews" in those Musician's Friend catalogs I seem to get every week for the last 10 years. Gosh, it seems like every $49 compressor/whatever they try sounds just as good, I might like it even more than the $999 compressor/whatever they've got. But don't tell my boss, I might be out of a job...hee hee! :spit: Man, EVERYTHING they sell is awesome! :rolleyes:
  7. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I really like bass player magazine but the reviews seem all to high of scores , they need to be more honest
  8. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I really like BPM and am a subscriber. The gear in it just gives me a little gas, but I really enjoy the technique and lesson articles. They are very good.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When was the last time you looked at Bass Player?
    They stopped using scores a while back. When there's something wrong with a product they state the problem.

Since this question has already been hashed and rehashed plenty on TB let's hijack this thread to discuss the changes that have been instituted at Bass Player.

Personally I like them a lot. I like the new little summary profile section that accompanies any article about a pro bassist (it's cool to see what these guys currently have in their CD player!), I like the new look which seems to give the pages a feel of more space or something. Also, it seems to me like they're using a thicker stock for the cover now which adds a little more class. I like the new look, of course I like Introduce Yourself too. :D

brad cook
  10. This topic has been beaten to death! MY BAD!!

When I did a search last nite I typed "bass player", too general. I was not smart enough to type in "magazine". This gave me what I was looking for.

Feel free to hijack it all you want, I'll even edit the first post to steer it in that direction.

Sorry guys,
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You should just pick up a copy and see what you think. I recommend checking out the April issue. Turn to page 24 and you'll see me smiling back. :D

They totally revamped the magazine three months back. I liked it before and I still like it. The changes were good. It's written and edited by good people too.

brad cook
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Publicity whore.:spit:
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey I have a career to consider..

...what that has to do with Bass Player magazine I don't know.

brad cook