1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass player/Management anyone?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Team_Steve, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Team_Steve

Team_Steve

Jul 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    i know most of you are in this boat, but i've some how been stuck with the Management roll!!!!
    any of you in this situation?
    any tips?

its like,
    when ever somthing goes wrong, i have to fix it, if money needs chasing , i have to do it, if we need more gigs it all rests on me, as well and transport issues and finding practice space and time!
    the worst is its a very thankless job, and when it comes time to get a little cooperation, it just wont happen?

anyone been here?

2. I've sort of been our de facto manager in the past, and it indeed can be frustrating.

I would voice your concerns after your next practice. Explain how you're feeling. Tell them that if you're going to continue as the manager, you're going to need more cooperation, or you're not going to be handling any of those duties anymore.

3. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I'm in the same boat. It kinda blows to have these added responsibilities, but it's also nice to be able to make decisions without having to get 5 other approvals beforehand. Obviously if it's something critical, I'm going to address the band first, but most of the stupid little minor things are getting handled way faster now. For instance, since I took the reigns, we've got more shows booked than we ever have, our web page looks 1000x better, we have way more "friends" on our myspace page, we now have a badass t-shirt design that is currently being printed on shirts that are costing us way less than before, we've made a TON of good contacts, and the rest of the guys can concentrate on the music, instead of sweating the small stuff. Hell, I even make a point of telling them to unload band issues on me, because I seem to be able to knock out a lot of these issues pretty quickly, before they become problems.

Not only am I managing the band (in addition to playing bass), but I've also begun booking my own shows at a local venue. The band as a whole got sick and tired of worthless booking agents (aka middlemen) getting all the credit and $$$ from the shows that WE were pretty much building from the ground up. So I cut out the middleman.

Just don't be afraid to crack the whip a little. It probably helps that I was an NCO in the military, and I have a little leadership experience, but anyone can do it. The band has elected you to be their manager, so that means you are now in charge!

4. Team_Steve

Team_Steve

Jul 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    it was not so much an elected thing, as it was an "if i dont do it, no one will" sort of deal, and now yeah, its just expected that i'll do it all!
    i'd love to just run with it and put in the effort to do it all well, but between working 2 jobs and uni studys, i dont get alot of free time to get stuck in to it all!

5. yeah get a calender, it helps immensly (sp?)

definetly get some kind of money drawer and write down every single expense

in terms of your equipment, make a check list so that you can make sure you never lose anything and if anything ever breaks its noted

these simple things should be more than enough help.

btw its easy to get gigs, myspace made sure of that, just look up your local bands with similar interest and im sure they'll help you out if you ever go on tour thats a different story

6. and i also work 2 jobs :C

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    IMO, shared responsibilities is the best way to go, if you can't hire a separate manager for the band.

8. oh one more thing, money chasing?????

you should never have to go money chasing.

if you have a mall or any large public place, including gas stations or the local guitarcenter is always nice. sell tickets THERE

btw stickers for a quarter get your name out all over the world and they're definetly cheap enough for anybody and will give you that extra few dollars revenue. it adds up quick trust me. t-shirts should only have your name on it to avoid paying too much UNLESS you have an incredible art design idea. and i mean it has to be an exceptional one like the DK symbol for the dead kennedys. i wouldn't push more than 8 dollars a shirt and even thats risky and probably too much.

5s and excellent number.

have you recorded yet? and if so how manysongs does the cd have and whats the quality of the recording?

and having a cd labeler? (thats what i call it) to put a design on the tops of your cds makes them sell 100% better than burning them and putting your name on them with a sharpie

9. Team_Steve

Team_Steve

Jul 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    umm, we have just gotten underway with recordings, we have finished 1 song, goes alright :p
    i think its of a good quality? not sure, we did do it in out guitarists kitchen
    www.myspace.com/mochesmo its the 1st track, "working till midnight" if you wanna check for me and let me know if you'd pay for a cd of that quality, coz i have no idea i've listened to that track so many times! (ignore the others, they were 3 years ago).

but yeah, the calander sounds like a plan, i used to use the one on my computer, but vista calander dont like me much!

and with shirts, i take it your talking in U.S "bucks". coz $8 would be the cost per each shirt to get made up!

any other advice you guys have would rock, i'm very new at all this!

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Delegate...

Tell people you NEED them to do a particular job. If you're the MANAGER, then MANAGE!!! Your "manager" at work doesn't do all the work - in fact he does the least work, cause he tells you to do it.

If you can match the right people up with the right jobs, then they should be able to do them easily - if they don't then the rest of the band can give THEM a hard time when its not done.

We don't have anyone "managing" as such - everyone has just taken on the jobs they do best. I run the website/mailing list, cause I'm a computer geek, one guitarist is a sales guy so he handles the bookings. The drummer handles all the artwork, flyers and posters. The singer runs the PA. I've recently taken on lighting cause we needed to step it up, and I thought it would be fun. None of us would be any good at all, at the others jobs so we've all grabbed the jobs we CAN do.

If your guys aren't stepping up to the plate, then as MANAGER tell them what they need to be doing. Don't wait for them to just take the job on - tell them it needs done, and it's their responsibility.

Ian

11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Is that like a Kaiser roll? Is it still fresh?? Try it with some butter

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tell the band you're going to take a 15% manager's fee out of every gig. Either they'll shape up really quick or you'll make more money than everyone else. Either scenario would be acceptable to me.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    yes.
    Maybe you should see what happens when you don't do all that work.If none in the group helps with it, look for new people... there ae wwaayy too many good players and nice people out there to waste time and energy on those who just abuse you and take you for granted...:bassist:

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    +1

Then why do I keep getting into situations with other musicians who don't treat me as an equal and don't appreciate the extra things I do for the band (like the website, hustling gigs, creating set lists, making disks to learn new songs, etc. etc)?

why? it's just like dating. In the beginning, everything seems great. They say all the right things, do all the right things. Takes 2-3 months before true colors begin to show.

15. Team_Steve

Team_Steve

Jul 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    yeah, its not like i'm going to up and quit though, this band has been my life for 4 years! lol.
    and we are writing some AWESOME rock tunes, just wish i could get the drive back in to everyone else, i think lack of motivation is the biggest issue!

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Because YOU ALLOW THEM TO;)
    I know the feeling, it can take a long time to take yourself serious ( as serious as you take the other musicians you work with) and make the point.
    Say NO to a gig on occasion, if you feel the terms are unfair.
    You're not desperate, are you?
    If you value yourself the others will follow-given you don't show up unprepared, late or with malfunctioning equipment.

17. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    make sure you get a bigger take of the money at the end of the night!

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I hear ya. I need to grow a set, is what you're saying. Gotcha.

It's just that the gigs APPEAR to be great when you join up. As I said, everything is heaven. They tell you the right things.

Just takes a while for them to show their spots. 3-6 months later, now in 3 consecutive bands, I find myself feeling unappreciated, disrespected and frustrated. I dunno. Maybe I'm too old for this crap now and less willing to tolerate BS. Or I just make bad choices. *shrugs*

At least I chose a good woman to marry...everything else in my life is a crapshoot!

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Only three bands??
    You lucky!
    Took me way longer than that!!

20. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey

I got spoiled. The first band I joined after I took up bass again at 40 worked out great. I was with them for more than 3 years. Then the lead singer/leader up and moved away and I followed shortly thereafter.

I guess after I moved that I presumed that I would find similar situations. I haven't. All I've found is frustration and heartache.

But I keep getting back on the horse. The upside is that I've tripled the list of covers I know. But downside? Sometimes i feel like giving up music altogether.