1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass player of Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tyggis, Mar 19, 2008.

1. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    I am searching to find who played bass on the stevie Wonder bootleg "live at the rainbow". Do any of you happen to know who that was, he is simply great, and his sound id great too.

Thanks.

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    He's been his man since the late 60's early 70's. He incredibly creative and talented. Check Stevie's live "Natural Wonder" clips on youtube. Wonderful!!!

KT

3. mksrxwd

mksrxwd

Sep 19, 2007
    Leander, TX.
    His name, is Nathen Watts.

4. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Great, thanks. Watch youtube: "Superstition live on Sesame Street" or other Superstition clips. He got an incredible fat low end sound. That must be him. On the "Natural Wonder" the bass sound is totally different, maybe he lost his P-bass in the eighties.
    And actually, the clip "You are the sunshine of my life" are a video from the bootleged the "live at the rainbow".

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Do a search and there are lots of thread around here discussing Nathan Watts! :)

6. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    The Sesame Street songs arent Nate Watts. The bassist in those clips is Scott Edwards. He is a TB poster.

7. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks, discovered that after posting. Scott Edwards is a great player too, with a great bass, wonder if he still plays it.

8. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    This is Scott Edwards bass player. Yes I still have my 1959 p-bass I used on most of my studio work from 1974 forward and the 1966 p-bass I used on "Sunshine Of my Life" and "All Is Fair In Love" with Stevie Wonder. Thanks for asking.
    Scott Edwards

Mike_1978 likes this.
  9. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    nathan watts he plays avella coppolo bass, and hartke amps

10. floopy

floopy

Mar 18, 2006
    Hi, glad to see you posting again Scott, hope you are doing well. I saw a list of the people you worked with in a previous thread, you were right there in the soundtrack to the 70s! Thanks for the music :cool:

11. scottgedwards

scottgedwards

Apr 14, 2006
    On Stevie Wonders, "Live At The Rainbow", I am almost sure the bass Player is Reggie Mcbride who took my place with Stevie when I quit in August 1973 and moved to L.A. Nathan Watts took Reggie's place a year or so later where he is still Stevie's bass player. On the "Sesame Street" clips, that's me Scott Edwards. Thanks
    Scott

12. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks for answering Scott. You are truly one of the great bass players. The bass on "Sunshine Of my Life" is perfect, I am specially impressed of the kind of independent double feel you do towards the end of the tune.
    Would you say that there is a great difference between the two mentioned basses?

13. stlevine

stlevine

Apr 11, 2008
    Listening now to "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" from Stevie Wonder's March 3, 1973, show at Winterland. It's on wolfgang's vault (www.wolfgangsvault.com if you want access to a lot of great live music). Was so impressed by the bass lines, I googled Scott Edwards, which led me here. The entire show is excellent - http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/player.aspx?ConcertID=1915|6809. It's really great to know that Scott is still around, still playing, and conversing with us "lesser" bass players.

14. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks stlevine, a pity the sound is so bad, great music though :)

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Maximum respect to you, Scott, and +1 thanking you for the music. I've watched the SS stuff countless times.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do you care to share any experiences from your time with Stevie Wonder? You guys seem to have been having a great time making that music; no wonder, if you'll pardon the pun.

16. I was blessed this past weekend to hear the raw tracks from "Superstition" thru Pro-Tools.

Wow.

I always knew Stevie was a badass. I just didnt' realize HOW MUCH of a badass he is/was until listening to the clav parts solo'd and taking a dozen passes to realize they're actually seperate takes.

I don't know that you can hear it in the mix, but listen to what he does during:

"When you believe in things that you don't understand,
    Then you suffer,
    Superstition
    ain't the way"

Badmutha****inass.

17. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I am now listening to The Jacksons "Destiny" which is a great album. Nate Watts plays bass on most of the tracks on this one. You might know Nate from his work with Stevie Wonder. Mike Sembello (the same guy I think performed/wrote the "Manic" song from the Flashdance soundtrack, 1983) played bass on a couple tracks. Produced by Bobby Colomby, who produced Jaco's first solo album, I think. This album is from 1978. Check it out. If you like Michael's "Off The Wall," this is a worthy predecessor.

My question: What else does Nate Watts play on that you recommend?

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My favourite track is the extended version of "Do I Do" from Stevie's Musiquarium Compilation! :)

19. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    That is a FINE song. Got it already!

20. sleepy

sleepy

Jun 29, 2005
    charlotte,nc
    here recently,
    i've got a new found love for Stevie Wonder.
    i always liked him, but, the other day i sat and listened 2 albums front to back.
    wow. i would rather hear his version of Higher Ground then Chili Pepper's any day.(sorry Flea)