1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player on movie "Hair"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by rdwhit, Mar 16, 2009.

1. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    This may belong on the electric side, but I live on this side & I'm sure I'll get an answer here. I just saw the last half of the movie "Hair" on the tube. The bass is very busy and makes the entire soundtrack groove like crazy. I hadn't heard it in years & had forgotten how great the bass is, it's the whole reason the stuff sounds so good. So, does anyone know who the bass player was?

2. I don't know who's on the recording, but I know from a Idris Muhammad interview that Jimmy Lewis did the original live production with Idris on drums.

3. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    thanks, i don't know of jimmy lewis, but i'll look for his work now. i don't have a recording, i doubt that they listed the band in those days anyway. i really want to know who this cat is!

4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I owned the movie soundtrack LP many years ago, I subbed on an LA production of the show back in '87 and bought the album to help prepare for the gig, played electric more in those days. I'm pretty sure the bassist on the movie soundtrack was Wilber Bascomble, if my remember correctly. He's on fire on that recording!

5. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Thanks Mike. I liked Your profile too, especially the last bit!

6. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Wilbur Bascomb it was. See http://www.bassplayer.com/article/ask-bp-who/nov-07/32501. I was offered a chance to play bass for a local production of the show. Found the movie DVD cheap and revisited it. The bass playing on that soundtrack is amazing. Didn't have time to work that production, but learned a lot from that soundtrack. Great stuff.

Wish you well.
    -KLL

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    FWIW, I played in "Hair" for most of 1969 and the first couple 'a months of 1970 in San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles . . . I remember that the book was COMPLETELY written out, for ALL of the instruments . . . and I also remember that the MD(s) insisted that the parts be played "as written" . . .