1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player on Pink Floyd's "Fat Old Sun"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I've heard conflicting stories about who is playing bass on Pink Floyd's "Fat Old Sun" from the "Atom Heart Mother" album. Some say it's Roger, others say it's Dave. What do the TB'ers have to say?

In either case, it's a great song with a great bassline.

Paul

2. Don't know for sure, but I believe I've read the album tracks more often than not were played by Gilmour. That is also his song.

3. I've heard that Gilmour tracked a good amount of the bass stuff too, but that could just be an old wife's tale. Never really looked into it further myself.

4. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I'm gonna say Roger. Because I want that to be true.

5. bobstefntes

bobstefntes

Sep 20, 2006
    Gilmour definitely did do a lot of the bass tracks. The fretless on "Hey You" and many others are Dave's handiwork. He probably did the bass on "Fat Old Sun" too.

6. A bit confusing to say the least. Roger was the bass player in Pink Floyd. Was it just Roger not doing what Dave wanted on his songs? Who really knows other than the band and the studio people. There was so much in-fighting in Pink Floyd. Anything was possible.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

8. Ha!

The exact interview I remember reading! :)

The wonders of the internet...

9. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Roger isn't too flashy, but he is a very effective bass player. I have a tendency to give him the benefit of the doubt as far as most recorded bass parts. Fat old sun is a very David Gilmour song, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did play on that one.

10. Rodger was originally a rythym guitarist who had to move to bass. One of his quotes was something along the lines of watching his back or he'd end up on the drums.

When Syd was out of the picture Rodger became the main song writer and that is where his main talent lies. He didn't mind Dave doing parts on the bass

11. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    It was Dave Gilmour.
    Scatterblak
    Bassist / Vox / Keys
    Eclipse - Pink Floyd Tribute

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021