1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass player on Zawinul Syndicate "the Immigrants"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tslicebass, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey all
    I have a burned copy of the joe zawinul zawinul syndicate cd "The Immigrants""
    I plan on transcribing the bass part to the 2nd track "Criollo"
    The only reference i could find online to a bass player on that album is Abe Laboriel. I could be mistaken but the 2nd track bass playing does not sound to me like Abe, as compared to the rest of the disc. Can anybody with this cd confirm who the bassist is so i know who to give credit to when i finish the transcription.
    Thanks
    and if that is indeed abe.....then jeez that is some sweet playing :)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have this (at home).
    ...is it Gerald Veasley?

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's Zawinul on keyboard bass, Laboriel is on the rest of the album. That is a killer bass-patch though!:bassist:

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK...Veasley is on Black Water (the record right after The Immigrants).

5. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Is track number 2 a bass or is it zawinul???
    If it is zawinul then jeez that is some killer bass keyboard playing:smug:

6. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Just read the above post sorry
    I just cant believe that it is bass keyboard patch...sounded more like gary willis to me :eek:

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    That was one of his many trademarks, being kick-arse at the bass thing! Listen to 'Rooftops of Vienna' on 'Faces and Places' for some more of that action. Some Weather Report tunes has him doubling the bass part too.

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    He always doubled Jaco on Teen Town when I saw them, Joe had one smokin' left hand!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Long story short(I hope).
    Back in the late '80s, I go see my friend's very popular Top-40 bar band...my friend has the latest/greatest Ensoniq keyboard. He plays me some bass stuff; depending on his touch, he could sound like Jaco, Louis Johnson, Jamerson, etc.
    I was blown away. Then he sez, "...see YOU can be replaced".
    Well, he was partly right. As it turned out, keyboards & such got advanced to a point where the WHOLE BAND could be replaced...which eventually happened to him & his lucrative house band gig.

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I thought the bass phrasing in Criollo was a preview of Joe using bassist like Richard Bona, Etienne Mbappe etc.

*editorial side note....it is pretty sad when a artist with the stature of Zawinul dies, and the[U.S.] media almost takes no notice of it. Joe truly was one of the greats!.....rant over.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Too much Britney, Lohan, Paris, et al.

Pandering to the LCD...keep America dumb.