1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player Pic Haters

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by deepBassie, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Why is it that bass players get screwed when it comes to media coverage? I'm no uglier than the rest of the knuckleheads in my band but am usually left out on gig videos and pics! My lead guitarist and I drive the sound and make the show fly, but the stinkin drummer and rhythm guitarist get far more media time than I do...and they just stand/sit there! This seems to be a universal constant. Yeah I know it doesn't matter but still...what gives?

2. Perhaps they put an aluminum wrapped cuke in their pants and you don't? Short of being somebody who does all the lead vocals like Sting, McCartney, or Lemmyd to name a few you are not going to get the attention.

3. Subsist

Subsist

Jun 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Don't feel bad. I can't count how many times a good 50-75 pics were taken and I'd be in about 4 of them, usually blurry and at the edge of the photo.

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Be handsome and fascinating. My bands usually complain that I'm in too many of the photos, get too much face time on video etc.

5. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    That's the deal with being a bassist man.

We drive the sound yet we get none of the attention.

6. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    time for an ill-advised, bassist exclusive side project called "Hey Guys, I'm In the Band Too! (Guys?!? Hey wait, where you going?!?)"

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've always figured that the best way to get noticed as a bassist is to play *really well*.

It helps to be good looking...

8. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Spit blood. Breathe fire. Fly to the top of the ceiling.

9. Obe

Obe

May 15, 2005
    Springfield MA area
    Stand up front, really get into it and sing. Good looks helps too, and the cucumber in foil thing works for me, hahaha. Just be thankful you aren't the drummer, always behind the cymbals and the other guys in the band. Didn't somebody write a song about this?

10. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    But they all play with a pic. Maybe that's it. :smug:

11. I sing as well. That helps.

12. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    me too. :smug:

13. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I'm in lots of photos, and in lots of videos... I guess it doesn't help to be 6'5" who happens to be wild and crazy on stage... Oh yea... everyone else is like 5'5"... i just tower over them!

14. I happen to be reading a book written by Victor Wooten, not a educational book, more like a novel and in it he says someone once told him that "The foundation is the most important part of a building, yet nobody ever says "My, what a nice foundation" in fact, the foundation doesn't get ANY attention until something goes wrong with it." (quoting from memory here) And this applies directly to the bass in the exact same way.

It made a lot of sense looking at it that way. So on the bright side, you might not get any attention now but boy will they miss you if your gone......

-eSmith.

15. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Kind of answered your own question there. If all the photos of you are blurry...

16. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Never had the problem myself, but I do stand centre stage with the lead singer with the two guitar players flanking us. Singing definitely helps, though I always look a little bit mental when I'm singing.

17. Whip it out. It's the only way.

18. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Get into it man, sing some backup. It has nothing to do with being a bass player man, it's what you do to make yourself noticed/unnoticed. I've seen so many bass players just standing there like some statues, bumping their heads quietly with their goatee's, hiding behind the cymbals... You know what I'm talkin' 'bout ;-)

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, stage presence ought to help, but the OP is right, and it probably is part of being a bass player that we have to make peace with.

I got the Yes "Live at Montreux" video recently. You would hardly even know that Chris Squire was a member of the band -- 90% of the shots were closeups of Steve Howe and Jon Anderson, the remainder occasionally Rick Wakeman and Alan White. Virtually zip of Squire, and I mean zip. Even when they played the Fish, the editing favored shots of Howe doing that harmonic thing and only gradually got around to showing Squire soloing. And he does move around quite a bit on stage, not to mention being the main backing vocalist.

20. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    Get a skeleton suit.;)