Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Player Review Of The Warrior Soldier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebozzz, Aug 9, 2003.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Has anyone else read the review Warrior Soldier 5 in the September '03 edition of BP? The staff seemed to like the playability, tone & appearance of the instrument but there were a few little items that caused concern. One of the issues were related to the electronics of the instrument. When they reported it to the folks at Warrior they received the following response:

Is it just me or could they have made a better choice of words to address the matter? :meh:

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, it's kind of like those new Hardees ads;
    'we know we sucked before, but we're trying not to anymore...' (paraphrased)

Kind of a weird approach IMO.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It certainly didn't inspire me to have a lot of confidence in them Mark. Where was the QC that should have prevented a faulty bass from going to BP in the first place? :confused: The experience that the BP staff wrote about just mirrors some of the experiences that I've heard from other sources and that's too bad. Finally, why didn't they simply say something to the effect that they had taken steps to correct the problem? All of that extra wasn't necessary IMO.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Reminds me of the reply that Washburn made when BP gave an unfavorable review of one of their basses in the 'Budget Fretless' shootout in April '00... "The instrument sent for review did not go through our setup department.The conditions mentioned are not indicative of the quality of basses that leave our factory"... What, they're gonna pay more attention to a bass that is shipped to a faceless customer than to one that is sent to an industry wide publication for review? :rolleyes:

-robert

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    strange indeed- it doesn't say too much to me about Warriors- i wish they'd concentrate more on a distinctive tone than on all the inlay stuff..

6. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    maybe something simple like this?

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i don't know! but Charlie Hunter plays the crap out of it!
    just about the ultimate live bass/chrodal/ soloing artist on the planet- he is pretty uncanny

8. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yes he is A

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i don't see the advantages to fanned frets... can someone please explain this to me??

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i'll try-
    the fanned frets offer this:
    the lo b is a longer scale- because of the fanning of the frets- take a close look at the fretboard- the distance between the nut and the bridge saddle is longer on the bass side than on the treble side- thus affording a long scale for the lo b- on the hi side, some people have complained that the longer scale can tend to make the hi strings sound tinny- shorter scale is more desirable there- thus the fanned frets allow that- short scale on the treble side- long scale on the bass side- more balanced sounding from string to string..
    on Charlie Hunter's axe, this becomes ever more important since he is playing 3 BASS strings which require a longer bass scale- and 5 GUITAR strings which would sound pretty funny on a 35 in scale- so he takes full advantge of the variyng scales from string to string since it is quite dramatic in range-.. make sense??

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I ahd a chance to try a Dingwall Prima 5 recently with the Novax system and I liked it quite a bit. The B-string was a 37" scale and the G was 34". If I can ever get back on track from the current economic problems that this country is experiencing, one of those Canadian made basses will be mine! :D

Now back to the Warrior soap opera. Here's the second part of their reply.

So what was the real source of the problems? Was the installer just a scapegoat?

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Back to topic...
    I agree ebozzz! I thought the same thing when I read it a few days ago. I'm sure it was just a statement at the spur of the moment but it sure would have sounded better if he had said: "We had a few quality problems in the wiring area at the time that bass was manufactured. The quality problems in that area have since been worked out."
    I'd still be a little worried though. While I know it's unrealistic to inspect every phase of instrument manufacturing, I would expect Warrior to screen prospective employee's better to assure they have the required skills to build their instruments.:meh:

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    sounds like he was a scapegoat AND a sacrificial lamb....