Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Player reviews ten 1x12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 12, 2002.

1. In the current (March) issue of Bass Player mag, they did a decent review of ten 1x12 cabs. The Aguilar GS112 got the top tone award, the Bag End S12 D got the nod for best built, and Euphonic Audio's CxL-112 was said to be the loudest. All the other cabs got some sort of praise, but, my question is: Do any of you guys gig with just a 1x12? Is it enough, or do you play mostly low volume gigs?

Mike J.

I remember sayng that this was getting to be a boring magazine a few weeks ago. I think I'll eat some crow for dinner tonight. :( :D

2. I tried to just use my then-brand-new Berg 1x12 for a two-nighter at a club in Houston in December. I was not too thrilled with the results, tone- or volume-wise. Granted, there were a few variables at play that could have caused me to be unhappy with the tone, but there simply may not be enough volume there for stage volume with a loud group.

Once I patched the Berg in with my AI Contra combo, I was much happier.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I did not care for the ag, but i like the berg the best as I own the 2-12. I dont think any of them are gigworthy as a standalone. The berg is a more "old school " tone which may not be for everybody but I really like it.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    It seems I'm always the last person to get thier BP.

5. Well i know a guy who runs just two GS112 cabs and it's more than loud enough for him to gig with his band. And he doesn't run it through the PA, he amplifies himself.

6. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    i read a review about the roland db500 160w. The bassist that tried it for a gig with about 150 people had pluged it into the pa but he didn't have to use it. The db500 that have only one 12" speaker had enough power to fill a room with 150 persons. So it is possible.

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    That's exactly what I plan to do.

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=39043

Gard, if I ever end up in Flarda, I'm going to kiss you. ;)

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.

Standalone = 1 cab.

I know 2 of them would be fine as I stated earlier I own the 2-12

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I play in a blues band with one Epifani 12". I actually had a Genz Benz before that which was also up to the job. I'm putting 225 watts into it.

I do own a second Epifani and have used it a few times, more for stage coverage than volume. My feeling is that two (with some wattage behind 'em) would be up for many rock gigs.

I was a bit dissapointed in the article overall. If you look at the ratings AND the text, they really didn't seem to differentiate the sound of the cabs very much. For example, I challenge anyone to tell me what the difference in tone between the Epifani and Bergantino cabs is from that article (I was curious since I had bought my cabs before either Berg or Aguilar hit the streets).

It may be that all the cabs really ARE a lot alike, it seems there was much less variation than in previous shootouts they've done.

Seems to me Aguilar is the big winner, especially since they are dirt cheap (I've seen them at $330 at one dealer). I also noticed that EA took criticism about poor sensitivity of their older cabinets to heart, BP says it was far and away the loudest box of the bunch.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IME one 112 is not enough for a moderately loud band (with one exception). Two Aggies sounds nothing like one, the difference is so great it's not funny. They have everything beat as far as price, you can buy two here in MD (new) for $600.

I haven't seen a Bergie yet and that's the exception because I don't know how well it holds up live. I tried using my Aguilar GS 112 alone on a wedding gig. I could hear it but the presence was weak at best. I used a single D210XLT on the same type of gigs and it works fine. The 112 alone is no substitute.

I was impressed with the Epifani 112 but again, if I'm not going to have the overall presence of the D210XLT, there wasn't any benefit to going small. I'd have to carry two around and that's more stuff than what I've been carrying around. So I went smaller.

My current rig has me scratching my head. Either the older EA VL110 cabs aren't as inefficient as people say (or people haven't tried a pair) or my BH-420 is seriously underrated. With two of these little suckers, they crank... without working the amp very hard. Knowing what I know now, if I needed to start from scratch, I'd look for a pair of the same cabs. I got mine for $600 for the pair, used. They don't sound like any of the other cabs.

11. Fender Will

Fender Will

Jan 2, 2001
    I own two Bergantino 1X12's, but 95% of the time, only one leaves the house to go to gigs.

I have found this cabinet to be plenty loud by itself; with some room to spare. Just as an example...once a month my little cabinet supports on a 20-piece Big Band with some loud horn players. The Berg holds up fine, and I have recieved frequent compliments about the sound from other musicians, as well as audience members.

Of course, this cabinet (along with any other 1x12) is probably better suited for smaller gigs and medium to lower volumes (I play a lot of jazz trio gigs with upright and electric).

If you buy one of these cabs with the expectations of being able to run it in a loud rock band and slap it silly, I think you've missed the point of these....that is not what they are designed to do.

Btw, I love the tone of the Berg's...thought the Aguilar's were a little sterile sounding.

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah I have been real interested in the Aguilar 1x12 after the BP review. But I would definately need 2 of them, so instead I am thinking that the Aguilar 2x12 (new) could be the answer (see my thread somewhere on this amps page). Plus I wonder if the Ag 2x12 would be cheaper than buying two Ag 1x12s.
    I think either would be an upgrade to my current 2x10/1x15 Carvin stack (opinions?)

-KB

13. Ah yes, many good replies and different views. I'm thinking of upgrading eventually, and I think I'd probably go with a head of about 400 watts, with a 2x10 cab on top of a 1x15, going by what I've seen bass players using in the same club over the past few months. I like the sound of 15s, but, if a band gets too loud, they start to sound "blarey" to me. I also like the way 12s sound, and when I saw the review in BP, I figured it was a good starting point for a discussion here. If I ever get a band going, I know it wouldn't be super loud so overall volume wouldn't be my main concern as much as quality of sound. I thought the 1x12 cab (maybe two) would be a good compromise between full sound, and ease of transport. My motto with a lot of things in life is: Less is more. I guess a lot of one's opinion depends upon which type of music you play.

The saga continues...
    Thanks guys, keep it coming.
    Mike J.

14. Now here's a question for you guys. I know that i said i know a guy who uses 2 112 cabs and is fine, but do you guys think i could play a high volume Rock show with 2 GS112 cabs?

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Same question from me. rock show with 2 1x12s or only 1 2x12? I currently do it with 2x10/1x15 stack

-KB

16. You have to ask? I play through 4x12 Eden's and LOVE my tone. I've had this setup for a very long time and totally dig my warm, punchy tone. Scooped mids...? Fuggedaboutit.

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So you think the 2x12 would hold its own?
    I plan to get rid of the 2x10/1x15 stack and only have the 1 cab.

-KB

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I have been seriously considering trying out some 12"s to go in place of my Sunn 2x15. I use my Fender BXR-60 (1x12") at church 3 times a week and I miss the sound of 12"s so much. I know that my 60 watts is plenty loud enough for small to medium sized gigs, so I can't imagine what 200 watts into a 1x12" would be like. I can't comment about using 2 1x12"s simply because I have never played any 1x12" or 2x12" cabs, but that will be the next purchase for my rig I'm relatively certain. 12"'s just give you that midrange thump that you can't find in any other speaker without lacking in the low or high end department.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It never bored me, Mike, but it sure is getting crappier all the time. For instance did you notice that the scores of the Eden 12" were identical to the scores of the Nemesis 12"???

Whatever they're smokin' when they do this stuff, I don't want any.

20. In all fairness, the CXM-112 uses a very similar driver to the Nemesis 112, so the tone was likely very similar. The construction differences were also probably negligible.