Bass player taking up guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cossie, Oct 11, 2005.

1. cossie

Apr 29, 2005

I wasn't sure what topic to post this under so i'm going with Misc, i apologise to the Mods if they have to move this!

I'm waiting on a budget Yamaha acoustic i ordered to arrive, i ordered it because any song writing i do always gets bogged down in the guitar part (i tend to work out a simple enough guitar lick using the upper register of my aerodyne).

while i know that its always good to expand your musical abilities / experience, anyone find playing guitar affected their bass "skills"?

i know that if i keep practice bass (which is my first love) i should be okay, but i know a few people who started playing a bit of guitar and their bass playing got really really noodly, with a lot of fills.

should i ask our drummer to hit me if i start getting too wanky? :D
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sounds like a plan! :D

And welcome to the boards!
  3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    playing guitar (it's what I started on) helps me to keep my bass playing from getting too crazy. If I'm looking to dome something really articulate and complex, I reach for my guitars. If I'm looking for plain good fun, it's the bass.

On the other hand, playing classical guitar is a great way to improve your fingerstyle speed and dexterity.
  4. last week I bought a Dean EvoXM (£79 at Peter Cook's Guitar World;) ) and a Zoom 505II.
    -my first electric guitar (had an acoustic guitar for 5yrs now)

it's fun and great for ear training to play along to songs on CD and radio that I learned the basslines to a long time ago.

if anything it's made me appreciate basslines- and my own basslines, more-
    how the bass can add so much to a simple guitar part, through deviations from it both melodically and in rhythm.

also now it'll be a lot easier to show guitar players parts I've written/learned off CD.
  5. I play bass, guitar, dobro and steel guitar. I can't imagine that guitar would interfer with your bass playing unless you find that you prefer the limelight :p When I am working up a new song I work on the chords and melody. I let the guitarists work out their own leads.
  6. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    I'm the same, but sometimes i have an idea of what i'd like the guy to sound like, and rather than saying "You know that bit from that solo in 'Otherside'...yeah, like that only do this" - if i could articulate through a guitar what i i know that each person should bring their own paint to the picture, for my own abilities i'd like to be able to play a bit more.

I tend to work on basic but solid bass and drums first, then i tend to use keys for illustrating melodies, but i'd like to have another outlet for what i hear in my head, if you get me.

thanks for all your replies btw!
  7. sears

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Learning guitar has changed my bass playing in lots of ways. For example, I had to stop biting my nails to be able to play guitar the way I wanted to. With fingernails my right hand technique on bass had to change. I take a more percussive approach now, hitting with my fingertips so that the nails don't get in the way.