Bass Player VS Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 19, 2006.

1. The magazines I mean. I never had a subscription to either of them, but I'm thinking about getting one now and I don't know which is better.
    I own a copy of Bass Guitar magazine, which I bought a while ago because of a Jaco article, and it's a pretty good magazine.
    I haven't had much experience with Bass Player though, so I'm just looking for pros and cons for both of them. Any suggestions?
  2. I personally do not care for "bass guitar" much at all. Bass Player gets a few more reads from me.
  3. What's the difference between the two? If you have a preferance, can you give me a reason behind that preferance?
  4. Ok, well simply put, I feel like Bass Guitar caters to the "14 year old / Circus Magazine" audience, and Bass Player is a bit more level headed. They weren't always, but have gotten better. Just my opinion folks.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm subscribed to both. I'll give you the low down.

Bass Player: For the more intelligent player. If you're really interested in bass musicianship, get this one.
    Bass Guitar: For the little punk rawker kiddies that want to go buy a p-bass and rawk out.
  6. Thanks, that helps. I'm gonna have to go with Bass Player.....too bad that my mom just bought me a subscription to Bass Guitar, I don't have the heart to tell her I want the other one:smug:
  7. Everyone is pretty much right on with the comparison. Get BP hands down. BG is a joke!
  8. I hate this. The only reason I bought that article of BG is because Jaco was on the cover, and the article about him wasn't even that good.
    If I hadn't bought that magazine, my mom wouldn't have taken the subscription card thingy and signed my up and I wouldn't have a year's worth of this crap coming to my house.
    Oh well, maybe I'll just cut them up and make posters.
  9. That IS the audience they're going for. :smug:

"dude, that pic is the roXXors!" :D
  10. Hahahha, I used to do that all the time too. Seriously though, what else is it good for? I'm gonna be getting BP instead, so what do I need the other one for? I don't have a fireplace, so posters is the next logical solution.....or a whole fleet of paper airplanes:D
  11. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    I prefer Vibe. It gives me all the info i need on the ever changing landscape in the world of Booty

:ninja: ;) :bag: :D :bassist:

12. Which is critical information indeed :D
  13. ^I love your sig, BassManolukas. Groundhog Day is my favorite Bill Murray movie. That scene when he's in the diner with that woman (his coworker) and he shoves an entire chunk of cake in his mouth at once, I crack up every time I see that. I don't know why, but it's so funny to me.
  14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't think there is a good bass magazine. Bass Guitar is pretty crappy for the reasons mentioned... And Bass Player is pretty crappy because it's usually so dry and boring I put it down a quarter of the way through.
  15. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I don't disagree that the reputations of either magazine is as stated above, but personally, I'm holding out hope for Bass Guitar. They recently hired Ed Friedland (used to be at Bass Player) and from what I've read from him, he seems to be on a mission to give that magazine more respectability. In fact I put my money where my mouth is and recently got a subscription to give him a fair shake. And I'm 40+, most of my rawkin' out days are behind me now.
  16. BP has started to go backwards recently. So many beginner articles, and the gear reviews are so uncritical. But - BG is worse........a lot worse
  17. Great movie.

I dunno if that's his best, though. He was absolutely hilarious in caddyshack! that whole mini plot was the best part of the entire movie. Only part I ever remember.
  18. Ahh yes, forgot about Caddyshack. His role in that movie is classic. I love the part when he's hitting the flowers with a driver: "WOW He really got a hold of that one!".
  19. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    +1 on giving BG a chance. They now have Elton Bradman editing, and he was editor for some of what I consider BP's best years. They have Ed Friedland on the staff, and they are bringing in some very good writers to do features. Mike Visceglia is doing an artists profile each month...

I bailed on BP because I couldn't pay money to have their kiss-ass reviews, and features on dimwit wankers, delivered to my home. Everything is wonderful, in its own way... my ass. Some gear sucks. have the balls to say so. When they put Tony Kinal on the cover and buried the piece on Edgar Meyer, they were dead to me...

Don't forget about Bassics. Very good mag that actually appreciates your subscription and you can get a free set of LaBellas when you subscribe.

And I picked up a few copies of the UK Bass Guitar (??) mag and it is well done. But all of the gear is priced in UKP! Argh!
  20. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    One of them has Mike Dirnt and the guy from Slipknot on the cover this month. Go with whichever one does not.