Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass player with Abercrombie?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ben Rose, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Went to go see Marc Johnson with Abercrombie at Birdland a few weeks ago, but he (Marc Johnson) wasn't there.

The bass player filling in was stellar. I didn't catch his name, but he was tall and probably in his mid 20's.

Anybody know who this guy is?

2. McBass. aka Mike McGuirk. Stellar indeed.

3. Gives you an example of the kind of talent we have hangin' out here!
    Betcha Mark was at home with that ugly, untalented wife of his!

4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    A TBer, eh? Color me impressed. (It's a color between magenta and envy.)

Definitely hat's off to McBass.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You can go here to hear some more of him.

Great player, great guy.

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Thanks for the link, Ed. There's alot to listen to on that site. Cool.

Thanks,
    Ben

PS. What's DURRL?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Durrl is Chris Fitzgerald's nickname. Je suis FOGHORN, DEAD PUKESPRAY, DEAD HORSEFLAY amongst others...

8. Do tell - who is she - she's evaded my probing of Google.

9. Damn, I can't remember her name. Mark married that gorgeous Brazilian singer pianist....Help me boys?

10. Elaine Elias?

11. YEAH mike....thanks!!

12. What - not Eliane Eliase (might have spelt that wrong) who used to be mariied to Randy Brecker - no wonder MJ was so effusive of her talents in an interview I read. Seen her live with of course MJ on bass - it was stunning and so was she who appeared to be wearing some sort of basque - MJ rolled in with an outsize wooly jumper that would make Starsky proud. The sound-man told me that MJ was the only DB player who turned up at Band on the Wall who had his sound and equipment sorted so it needed no tweeking. It was a trio that knew how to play for to the gallery without too much compromise. MJ set out pleying very fast and fluidly - turned out that was only his warm-up. Eliane was very good too it must be said.

13. Checked the spelling: Eliane Elias. (I used to pronounce it "ee-LAYNE uh-LYE-us" like a proper American).

Checked out her Web site and saw a picture of who I assume is MJ playing an Eminence EUB! Is this what Marc was playing when you saw him, Mike?

14. No - it was a DB and he played sitting down. Last time I saw him with he was standing, touring with UK pianist John Taylor. He was playing very restrained adn tastfully. The drummer was Joey Baron. For those interested he was using Hartke 4 by 10 speaker behind him raised off the floor on top of its own flight case. Can't say about the amp and pickup.

15. I worked with Joey Baron once.......with AL HIRT!!!HA!!!

16. Great drummer - so sympathetic to what's going on around him, and his solos are exquisite. He and MJ seem to be a bit of an item in what time he takes away from we-know-who.

I'm affraid AL HIRT!!!HA!!! loses me Paul - still I take it it was good?

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I did see a pic of Marc playing an Eminence with John Abercrombie recently. Presumably a road gig. I vaguely remember him having a bass built by Bob Daugherty a few years back.

EL-ee-ah-nee EL-ee-us, I think. Though I prefer the emphasis on the "ahhhh".... :smug:

18. Jumbo, as people called Al Hirt was a sweetheart, but Joey is considered so very hip it's kind of hard to imagine him playing with Jumbo (being a Dixieland kind of player)
    And I didn't say" i'm affraid Al Hirt"!!!!!!!!!!!
    Of course it was good. JEEZE !!! :eyebrow:

19. Hirt/Baron does seem like a strange juxtaposition! Did you play Java?

Through my job, I've had the pleasure of interviewing Pete Fountain a couple of times, and he stood in awe of his friend Al Hirt's playing. Pete claimed he developed his own technique on gigs with Jumbo, just trying to keep up!

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Just found this.