Bass player with some guitar related questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buckethdd, Feb 6, 2004.

1. buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    this may seem a little weird but i am a bassist and the guitarist in my band and i have been on the search for help with HIS tone...i have gotten some unbelievable help and advice on this board and i was wondering if anyone knew of a similiarly useful guitar board...i looked around and nothing seemed to approach talkbass. anyone, anyone?

also if anyone is interested the guitar tone related questions...we are going for a meshuggah thing...heavy, yet growly and very articulate with the note definition they get (particularly on the last album). he's got a line6 and has a pretty good tone going we just need something to bring the growl factor up a notch.

thanks for any help.
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Tune down.heavier strings, harder picking, trun the bass up on your amp.
  3. Work with the EQ. Try scooping the mids and leaving them flat, some amps work better one way than the other. Also, try turning the gain down. I always see metal guitarists who think turning the gain all the way up is the best way to get a 'heavy' sound but it just makes it fuzzy sounding. I'm not sure about another forum but I hear the fender forums are pretty happening.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Be careful about bringing up the low end on the guitar too much. Sure it sounds great all by itself, but it can also end up stomping on the frequencies that the bass sits in. What works in your bedroom doesn't work in a band. Try adjusting tone at band practice rather than solo.
  5. Yeah. Also, if your drummer plays a lot of double bass a lot of lows in the guitar will make that very hard to hear.
  6. Growl = mids

Make sure he doesn't boost his lows, that will cut you out of the mix.