Bass players and mental health?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Are all bass players a bit jaded ? Or sad ? Or just lethargic towards society and life in general or is that just me ? I read a YouTube comment where someone said the bass is a sad instrument :roflmao::roflmao:
    Are they wrong ? What else would drive someone to be obsessed with such a gloomy sounding instrument hahaha.

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No. No. No, probably. Yes. I don’t know.

marcwhy, Loring, Aqualung60 and 20 others like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It's depressing how completely clueless many people are about how important the bass (not just OUR instrument but the lower register melody) part is to music.

A couple co-workers I've had over the years didnt even realize Les, Geddy, Flea, Gene, Sting, etc were bass players, or even notice how many well-known passages are bass lines. I.E. the intro to Sober, the solo in The Chain, Metallica's Anesthesia... The list goes on.

2milehighspike, Loring, smogg and 9 others like this.
  4. Non-musicians as a whole are mostly clueless about what the role and function is of the bass.

Most other musicians in the band are happy to have someone to support the band that they feel they don't have to share the limelight with.

In my experience, if you don't contribute to the vocals you usually are setting yourself up to be more replaceable.

That's why I own the PA, the lights, and sing alot! :D

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'd venture to say bassists are in general more introverted than lead vocalists, lead guitarists, etc.

6. People have been telling me I’m jaded, since I was about 19. I’ve been very fortunate. I suppose I am jaded about the music business. I am however, very enthusiastic about music.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Darkness!
    I've been noticing in the Goth community folks who play a stringed-instrument more often choose bass over guitar.

I sat here playing Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, on a rainy day & it was pure bliss!
    oh, I almost forgot, Type O Negative:

Pete was the epitome of this topic!

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nah. I'm an outgoing hugger who never met a stranger. Right now I'm on top of the world living a great life.

It saddens me that everyone on Earth seems to be stressed out right now.... even musicians around me.

Y'all need a collective deep breath. Things ain't that bad. ;)

2milehighspike, Qlanq, JoshS and 37 others like this.
  9. Amen! But remember the TLJ quote from MiB . . .

Outshined91 and two fingers like this.
  10. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    in therapy

on medication

exercise, meditate, walk dog and ride my bike

nothing is better for my soul than getting lost or locked in the groove with other musicians with my bass.

i play other instruments but nothing makes me happier than the bass. i don't belong to any guitar, bicycle, weightlifting or other forums than bass.

bass is a happy instrument played by laid back dudes....believe this stereotype over the one you heard :)

11. Killed_by_Death

Are guitar-players & drummers naturally upbeat all the time?
    that's rhetorical, LOL!

JakobT, Loring, Outshined91 and 5 others like this.
  12. I'm a career mental health professional and a bassist. From what I can tell bassists are frequently the best grounded people in the band. Just look at Derek Smalls, John Entwistle, Paul McCartney or That Guy From The Police. Don't look at Motorhead though---there's the exception who proves the rule.

13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Nah, you've got all personality types for every instrument.

For example...

With vocalists, you have your Morrisseys... and then you have your David Lee Roths.

Neil Peart and Keith Moon probably wouldn't have hung out together.

On guitar, you have Mark Knopfler personality types... and then you have Jimi Hendrix.

Keys... it doesn't get more opposite than Jerry Lee Lewis and Tony Banks.

And for bass, you have guys like John Deacon... and then you have Gene Simmons.

And obviously, you have a high number of types that fall in between the extremes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    sears, JoratioMumbles, smogg and 6 others like this.
  14. I’ve played drums, longer than I’ve played bass.
    I’m definitely naturally Upbeat all the time. Downbeat, as well. ;)
    I have never been depressed in my life.
    And I’ve had some really bad stuff happen to me.

15. Killed_by_Death

Philthy 'the Animal' Taylor was the crazy one in MH:

tumblr_pkf07ai11f1wqv5oko2_400.gif

16. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    I was sitting at a restaurant with a new band talking goals with the group. A fellow walked past us, and once he was inside I turned to the vocalist and drummer and said "I bet you lunch that guy is a drummer". They accepted the bet, and when he came back out with his carry out we called him over and asked if he was a musician to which he answered yes. We asked what he played and he stated "Oh, I'm a drummer".

Musicians do have certain personality quarks. Spend enough time around them you'll be able to pick them out in a crowd. Oddly enough as a bassist, I seem to run into mostly bassists and drummers, and am unable to find guitarists and vocalists to save my life.

retslock, filwitheneff, sears and 2 others like this.
  17. As a long time Police/Sting fan, I'd like to contest that claim :p Sting was pretty arrogant and certainly not as grounded as Andy Summers. Then again, Andy was also almost 10 years elder to Sting.

Loring and Pauly 4001 like this.
  18. Meh, that’s probably coming from guitar players that no one wants to play with lol

smogg, instrumentalist and Guild B301 like this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Guild B301 likes this.
  20. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    Maybe people make this assumption since playing the bass generally involves more subdued physical motions as compared to drums, keys, guitar, and vocals.

Consider the following:
    Drummers are moving all four of their limbs while playing.

Guitarists can do dramatic strumming patterns, windmills, crazy bends, etc.

Vocalists have the freedom to move around as far as the mic will take them.

Keyboardists...yeah.

Bassists...we are still mostly playing one note at a time, anchoring our thumb, and plucking with one to two fingers or focusing on strumming one or two giant strings with a pick.

Maybe to the general public this just looks less exuberant than the other instruments. And the natural conclusion is that bass players love life less.

Of course there are players who make a big physical show of playing, but what is the norm?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021