Bass players are unloved

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pbassred, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Who gets the attention? First the singer :hyper: , then the guitarist :bassist: , then the drummer. Even DJs :bag: get more attention.

Look at any magazine stand. The least likely read is a Bass mag. If you do find one, its the only music mag without a cover CD. Which means that. The examples they print, have no backing track. and It wouldn't be something you've actually heard..... no chance. Same price though :meh:

50% of the whole sound spectrum is Bass. So Bass gear is heavy and more expensive. Do you get any offers of help?

The guitarist and the drummer both recon they can play your instrument, cos its like a guitar, but less complicated. :eyebrow:

You go to a Jam night and what will you find. 2 guitar amps 100W 2X12, and a bass amp 50W 1X12. and arranged so that the bass in squeezed into a corner. :crying:

With all the variety of styles we embrace. What wanted ads will we find? " rock band needs bass guitarist" :scowl:

Ok, ...... I'm just bitching cos I was looking for a workshop or ethnic learning experience in London, and Nothing. :rollno: Just ignore me.

..............except for the magazine thing. I'd love to find a good mag :help:
  2. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
  3. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    OK OK OK.. That was a little harsh. But seriously though.... I have found alot of bitching about how bass is the least celebrated musical instrument in the universe. But really common now. If you really look.. It is just as celebrated, if not more than any other instrument.

Look at older music, bass guitar was always the prominent instrument.. And if it wasn't you could hear it loud and clear. Funk? Is practically all drum and bass. Rock? There should be plenty of Rush and Yes fans here to agree. RAP EVEN!!!! IT IS PRACTICALLY DEDICATED TO BASS!! THE STANDARD JAZZ TRIO IS A DRUMMER,PAINO PLAYER, AND BASS PLAYER!!!!! No guitars........Lots of low end.....

And your not thinking of the gear the right way at all! It is heavier and more expensive because of 2 main things.
    1.If it were lighter the sound would be questionable and the quality would be questionable.
    2. Just goes to show you a bass player is more serious. Simply because nobody wants to be the dude in back with the sun glasses.They wanna be the loud dude up front with a guitar.

The reason why there is an underpowered 1x12 in the corner is because of that. Which would explain the reason why it is shoved the in corner.

But common.. Bass is a celebrated instrument. Even though ignorant people do exist(what is the big thing with the big strings?)

But all that aside.. You put up with the things you said because you love bass...! NOT DRUMS!!!! NOT GUITAR!!!!! BUT BASS!!
  4. ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    funk turns on hte ladies :cool:
  5. "Artists who want to be musicians, not marketing creations..."

That quotation is from the home page of the Marsalis Music website of Branford Marsalis. I'd rather aspire to be a musician and artist than as a marketing creation.

Of course, De gustibus non disputandum est
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, I figure it was right on target, no explanations, expoundings, or elaborations needed.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Pffffft, go play guitar.

-Ray :D
  8. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    wether they want to admit it or not.. they are all shaking there rumps to the bass... :bassist:

and if that doesnt move you then just know ur there for a reason..

plus there is always room for a bass player..
  9. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA

Yep, we have the most 'employment opportunities'. :bassist:
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, that's Jell-O you're thinking of.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Somebody's face is red...
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Shouldn't there be some kind of TB rule against self pitying threads like this?

If you don't like playing bass, or the reaction you get, DON'T PLAY.

Maybe you should try being a banjo or accordion player.
  13. Dude, accordian players get all the chicks...

Just look at Weird Al!!!
  14. I wasn't saying that I need to be worshiped. Just appreciated/ provided for. Like the same gear as the guitarists. Yes I know what the ladies dance to, but I don't think that they know or care (perhaps rightly). Maybe we don't push ourselves enough - more self PR required.

It was really the magazine thing that set me off.
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It sounds like you want to be a pet dog, appreciated and provided for.

I have better gear than most guitarists. If I go into a situation where gear might be provided, I bring my own.

In most cases where there's a 'jam' happening the bass amp has been provided by a bass player. Maybe you need to blame your brethren for not being serious about their gear.
  16. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    When our 6-piece band is introduced at the end of the evening, I usually get the most applause. Go figure.
  17. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I think it also depends on the person. I know a few bassists (including myself) that get attention from all angles...
  18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    No, bass players aren't unloved ........ maybe it's just you ;)

I'm 54 years old, I have gray hair, my body quit looking good a long time ago, but there is never a shortage of love coming my way :D

1) I have better equipment than the great majority of the cats I play with, 2) I don't go to any jam nights because I have a busy enough schedule that I don't have to "loan" myself out for free, 3) if I walk into a place that has a bass rig set up that I don't like I make them move it out of my way so that I can put my own stuff there, and 4) the females know, for a fact, what's kickin' them in the butt, and they know it's coming from me ..... :cool:

I'm glad there aren't a lot of bass player mags .... the guitar world is over-loaded with useless, crappy journals. I'd rather have just a couple of higher quality magazines and not have to filter through garbage.

Man, you're a bass player, you should be proud and quit moaning about your problems! You've got the power to control things, and if you don't believe that, then shame on you :scowl: The next time you're playing, pick out one female on the dance floor and aim your notes right at her tush .... guaranteed she'll be shaking to your pulse, not the vocals or guitar noise. Now, that's love ..... :cool:
  19. Wow, this thread again? I'm sure a pick vs. fingers thread will pop up any minute.