Bass Players Becoming Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, May 31, 2002.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Creed sacks their bassist.
    Metallica sacks their bassist.

Both mega-popular groups move forward without a bassist as part of the "inner circle" of the group. The Rock bassist's role is perhaps being demoted to that of contract laborer.

Sort of like the "Unknown Comic" with the bag over the head and holes cutout for the eyes. In the back while the guitarist, vocalist and drummer get all the photo ops and $$$.

Is this a trend starting or just an oddity? What are you folks seeing out there?

2. The Rolling Stones have been bass-less for years now.
  3. you said that metallica sacked their bassist, didnt jason leave though?
    anyway.... i do think it is starting to become a trend, but i spose its alright if its better for the band in the long run....
    also, a few weeks ago on the tv i saw this band called omen, who were like finalists of a battle of the bands thing, and they only had a drummer and a bass player...
  4. Its always been this way, bassists have always been pushed to the back, or replaced etc. But there are always exceptions. It doesn't make it a trend, just sometimes things happen by coincedence. I don't think bassists need to worry about being ousted from rock bass. Arena rocks heading out, and Indie rock's coming in. Frankly, its the guitarists that need to worry, with the fall in rock band sales, there will be relatively fewer needs for guitarists, bassists on the other hand, are primo material. More genres depend on basses than on guitars.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I think we have only one choice here ! Lets kill all the guitar players out there! No dont worry man! As long as there are peopl that respect the bass and love music there will always be musicians! In rock you get a bunch of kids that really dont know what the bass is! Thats why i love to play jam stuff and jazz! Because most people that come to a show can not only clap on beat but enjoy each instrument for what they are!
  6. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    our role is indispensible.
  7. I don't think any instrument's role is indispensible.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    that's great, and i'm glad you feel this way. but don't come sobbing pitifully to me when your triangle player can't work out what to play for his solo.
  9. Fire drummers is what i say! Especially the ones that show up late, "cant practice" half the time, and dont keep good time. So I'm down to one band now, which is ok with me, cause its new and fresh and ass kicking!

guess i should change my nick now - na, screw it.
  10. I've always thought if I didn't have to deal with guitar players or drummers my life would be much easier.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey, drummers and guitarists are great, I've been lucky enough to have played with great players and people in almost all bands I've been in.

And about Metallica, it doesn't make any difference if they have a bassist or not, does it?
  12. Creed and Metallica may have lost or sacked their full time bassists, but their songs still have bass lines.

I don't think bass is becoming obsolete, in fact I see more new bassists than anything else. Good bassists, on the other hand, are becoming harder to find.
  13. rubberband

May 17, 2002
    As long as we have some good front runners leading the way for a vocal bass player(not singing, just makes himself/herself present) we won't become obsolete. We need 2 do something about the bass players who just sit back and play a lame ass bassline that any monkey with ADD could do. U have 2 make somebody hear u, cuz people will listen 2 the guitar 9 times outta 10.
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think it's a little late in the game for any new regular members in that group.

People can't miss a bassline they can't hear.
  15. if they are good bassists... they will be heard and in demand
  16. If you want my opinion, I think that bands like Creed, Mettalica, and certainly the Rolling Stones of today are obsolete.
  17. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ya think so?:confused:

It seems to me that any band that can repeatedly sell out 20,000 seat stadiums at a minimum of $50, sometimes as much as $250 per ticket, cannot be considered obsolete.
  18. Many of those bands stopped making good music a long time ago, so in that sense, I would think those bands are obsolete in the fact that they're like a cover band... kind of like Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett or Roger Waters.
  19. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you pay $250 for a creed or metallica ticket there is something very wrong. I saw creed a few years ago and tickets right up in front were like $26.
  20. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    The Rolling Stones are a cover band, they just happen to have written all the material they cover. ever notice infants and elders seem to get the same treatment in life? :D