Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Player's Choice: Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by srteks, Sep 7, 2005.

1. srteks

srteks

Jun 4, 2004
    Let's face it - with mp3's, sound samples, self recording, we NEED computer speakers that can perform acceptably in the lower range and still attractively reproduce jazz and classical music. Many of us also don't want to sell off our equally necessary overcoats and winterwear to be able to afford such speakers.

What works?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    These fit the bill. I use a small mixer with my computer so the input connectors don't bother me, but I think the same company makes a version with RCA connectors for computer use. They also make a slightly smaller and cheaper version with 4" drivers for about $50 less.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I just use a nice pair of headphones. You can get great quality for less money.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    The Dell A425 3 piece 30w. computer speakers sound really good for under $50. I heard a set pumping hip-hop bass in our demo lab the other day and was pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: I am in the business sales division of Dell.

I run mine through a regular stereo.

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm with Chris. If you want good (accurate and clear - not just loads of bass) speakers, go with some decent desktop monitors. MAudio is certainly good value for money.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I went with powered studio monitors. Specifically, Genelec 1029A's (with the matching sub). This is drastic overkill, but I have a Pro Tools LE setup on this PC, so they pull double duty. But I'd strongly consider them even if they were just to be used as "PC speakers." There are lots of other great powered (and shielded) monitors out there, too, from Mackie, Event, Alesis, Yamaha, Tannoy, JBL, KRK, etc.

Tom.