1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass player's guide to the world....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by basslyon, Mar 8, 2008.

1. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    Hey all. I'm sure I'm not the first one of us to consider packing up and shipping off to another city or country. Whether the decision is musically promted or not I thought it'd be a good idea to have somewhere to check what the music scene is like in various cities.

If there already is such a resource please tell me otherwise tell us about your city: Where to find bands and book gigs, how hard it is to do either of the above etc.

If this takes off i'll maintain this first post as a sort of directory.

2. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    So I'll start with sleepy old Perth, WA, Australia.

Intro: The most isolated capital city in the world gets left of alot of international tours so the people of perth figured out a long time ago if we want decent music we gotta make it ourselves. There are plenty of good bands around just not a lot of venues to play at and if you wanted any interest from record labels, it's not happening here.

Where to find work: Xpress newspaper is your goto source. free every thursday from everywhere that matters. also try kosmicforums.com.au(.) Perth does seem to be the only city in the world with a surplus of bass players. the local conservatorium pump out a pile of jazz trained musos guarteneed to kick your ass.

Finding gigs: For rock music you've got mojos and the swan basement in north fremantle and amplifier and the rocket room in perth and northbridge respectively. For jazz you've got universal bar and the llama bar. There are afew other around the suburbs but these are your main ones. There is work for cover bands but it's a hard market to crack into.

In summary it's very compeditive at every turn here (i imagine it is everywhere) so no matter how good of a bassist you are plan to have a day job

3. That would be www.kosmicforum.com :)
    There is also:
    www.bmusic.com.au
    www.musolist.com
    www.perthbands.com
    www.coverbands.com.au
    www.newbandmember.com
    www.gumtree.com.au - Musicians Community
    www.cracker.com.au - Musicians Community
    Plus sometimes muso's put ads in the Quokka, The Western Australian and Sunday Times under the Musical Instruments for sale section.

4. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    well it was meant to be a brief overview but that helps me. Thanks

5. I've lost count how many muso's contact me or me them, and when I ask them where they are checking they only list one internet resource.

It took me all of 20minutes to find all these resources (except bmusic that was word of mouth), but if it helps people build bands to further compete with mine and keep us fresh, then my work is done :D