Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass players that play/played trumpet poll

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Jan 28, 2003.

1. yes

77 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No, I played sax or some other lame woodwind.

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. No, I'm a drumass.

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey folks, I played trumpet from 5th grade through college. I was a music major on trumpet, but always played bass for fun. Since I had to "work" at playing the trumpet, bass was a real release. Over the years I've met quite a few fellow bass players that also played trumpet. So here's my thinking, trumpet was normally the melody instrument in marching and concert programs. I was always attracted to the bass section because they always had the counter part, and that always seemed to be the "cool" part. Grass is always greener I guess. Are there many bass/trumpet players out there. Is my theory sound, are there a lot of trumpet players that were attracted to bass the same way?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Pretty funny, but I did have to answer yes. I started in 5th grade on cello, then 7th grade moved to trumpet.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I played trumpet in the jr. high band, but didn't pursue band past that. I started playing bass my freshmen year of high school, so I gave up trumpet and eventually replaced it with bass.

Not to brag, but I was a pretty good trumpet player for my age and "dedication" (which was little to none.) I probably could have outplayed a fair share of the upper classmen my freshmen year. Of course, when you consider I grew up in a very small town in which musical talent is shunned, and football is king that's probably not saying as much as it would had I grown up in a larger town.

4. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Unfortunately that's the norm everywhere I fear.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I play trumpet. In fact I've been playing it longer than I've been playing bass.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could have ignored it and derided it for being silly and irrelevant!! ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    How could you both ignore it and deride it? Surely if you were to deride it, you wouldn't be ignoring it? :D

8. The trumpet player from Jaga Jazzist also plays double bass in some of their songs.
    It was really cool when I saw them at the Roskilde festival 2002 and the trumpet player in the middle of a song lays down his trumpet and picks up a double bass and starts playing.
    Btw, has anyone here seen them live?

9. Bruce Lindfield

You can ignore the poll, by simply not clicking on it - very easy!! Then you can deride the poll, in the thread - also very easy!! ;)

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    This is completely off the subject but I just learned this morning that Joey Defrancesco also plays the trumpet. Who'd a thunk?

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That seems to be what you do in every poll.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Better than being a sheep and being herded into arbitrary categories!! :D

Actually it's only the badly-thought-out or downright stooopid polls, I do that to!!

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, well given that I play both bass and trumpet, I'm quite happy to be "sheep-herded" into the 'yes' category!! :D

14. Bruce Lindfield

15. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Meanwhile on the other side of the field gathers an even larger herd of inveterate dissenting sheep that bitch about stoopid polls. A heard of sheep that think their independent is still a herd. :D

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well maybe the numbers of disgruntled people wouldn't be so large. if poll-sters put a little more thought into their design? ;)

17. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    So what exacly is poorly designed? Should I have included the debate team?

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my main axe is trumpet, i play lead, section and solo. 80% of my work is on trumpet.

my bass playing has come a long way due to my trumpet playing, although i have been playing trumpet for a long time i have only been playing bass for about 4 years.

what racks my brain is that i hear things to play in my head, but i can't play it on bass. on trumpet, i can play whatever i hear.

if i could only do that on bass - maybe in a few more years, just need to keep on practicing ;)

19. Bruce Lindfield

20. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I'm thinking given time, the poll will show there is a connection between trumpet players and bass players, because the reasons I stated up front. Couldn't resist having a little fun at my fellow band geeks expense. After all, I'm just a brasshole.