Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass players that sing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dead end bassis, Apr 9, 2003.

1. dead end bassis

dead end bassis

Dec 26, 2002
    are there any bass players that sing out there or do you know any good sites for lyricks.

Right now I have an All American Fender Jazz Bass with full skull knobs and a custum pic gaurd. And 2 18's with 2 15's and 2 inch horns with the 15's 1500 watts yeah

2. Theres Geddy Lee of Rush and Sting From the Police. Thats all I know of right now

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Les Claypool (if you consider that singing)

4. fat mike from nofx, tim from rancid, and joe gittleman (mighty mighty bosstones, avoid one thing)

5. dead end bassis

dead end bassis

Dec 26, 2002
    im sorry I was unclear I ment any of you unfamous or famous maybe that sing its very hard to do for me i dont know about you guys though

distortion rules

Dont take what i said up there as a insult i was unclear

6. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    While Tim from Rancid does sing, he isn't the bass player. Matt Freeman is the bassist for Rancid. Also Joe Gittleman doesn't sing lead for the Bosstones, just for Avoid One Thing, I'm not sure if you meant he sang lead or not. My favorite bass playing singer is Roger from Less Than Jake.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Yes, I sing. I have a few lyric sites I will post tonight (have to go to work). I usually have to get the bass part nailed (second nature) before I try singing with the bass. Sometimes I simplify the bass part to make it easier to concentrate on the vocals. You might try Kazaa for lyrics?

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Mark King, of course.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Singing while playing ANY instrument is hard to do if the vocal part is not in the same rhythm as the instrumental part.

You have to practice each part BY ITSELF until it is second nature then at a slow tempo put them together until you get it right. Then work up to full tempo.

Some guys will actually simplify their bass parts live to make it easier to sing. In the studio they usually overdub vocals so they aren't playing and singing at the same time.

The more songs you learn to sing the easier it gets.

10. Boss Bass

Boss Bass

Apr 9, 2003
    Third Rock
    I've been doing it myself for many years at this point. There are quite a few who sing and play bass, guys and gals that we know, and so many others we'll never hear about. So I'll just choose one guy and one gal; Gail Ann Dorsey (Bowie) and Jason Scheff (Chicago).
    It's amazing what we can teach our bodies to do...

11. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    I agree with brianrost, learn each of the parts individually then try putting them together.

I sing and play and I think it's a blast. I'm always somewhat amazed that my hands and voice can work independently from each other!

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Definitely. Up until about a year and a half ago I couldn't play and sing at the same time if my life depended on it. But I gradually learned to sing and play on some simpler songs, and now I'm very comfortable singing and playing at the same time.

13. I sing and play upright bass in a rockabilly band. It just takes practice.

14. hooray for the bass player/singers!!:D

I think mark king and sting deserves a round of applause too...because they make it look so easy. ;)

I sing backup lines while i play the bass and i agree with that you should nail your bass part before even trying to sing. If plucking while singing really screws up your timing, try using a pick. Although its not recommended for the bass..

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Or if you think it's too easy try singing while slapping, a la Larry Graham. :D I can't beleive we forgot Larry Graham.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I can sorta do eet now...

Mainly green day stuff like "Minority" and "When i come around"

I could probably do any ramones...

most social distortion...

takes practice... get the singing down, then the line, then close your eyes and just think about doing it... and u do it.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

The thing you UK folks don't understand is here in the states, no one knows who the hell Mark King is.

18. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Whatever you do...DO NOT listen to Rushs' "Turn The Page" off of the HOLD YOUR FIRE album. You will want to throw your bass out the window, rip out your vocal cords, feed them to your cat, and NEVER dream of singing and playing bass simultaneously AGAIN!!! :eek:

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Richard Bona, MeShell NdegeOcello, John Entwistle (RIP), Aimee Mann, Nick Lowe, Robby Takac (Goo Goo Dolls), Rick Danko (RIP), Will Lee (yeah, he sings), Jack Bruce, Phil Lynott (RIP), Peter Cetera, Sheryl Crow (well, she does).