1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass players totally uninterested in basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm sure there's a small handful here, but...

I've noticed lately that many of the bass players I encounter outside of talkbass couldn't give a rat's ass about bass guitars. I work with 3 such people at my day job (I work at a school so I know all the bass players), and there's a few guys I know that sub for me that are just completely disinterested in bass guitars. They're all talented working musicians also. They play one bass that they've had since their teens, and just kind of shrug and give a polite smile if I mention that I just bought a Rickenbacker, ask if they're interested in buying something I might be selling dirt cheap, or bring up anything about any kind of bass. They won't talk bass with me. They say dumb stuff like, I just play this P/J I've had since I'm a kid. They just don't freaking care! What the hell is wrong with these people?

Anyone here want to fess up and admit to having this strange (yet not as rare as I'd like to think) disorder?

2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I ride a motorcycle but I don't hang out at motorcycle dealerships or join motorcycle related forums and to talk about it.

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Bass as a hobby and bass as an instrument are two different things. I played soccer all my young life: HS, college, club teams. I was very good but I was never a soccer nerd. I knew lots of guys that knew 10x more about it than I did, dressed like soccer players, even has that stupid 90s soccer hair. Most of them couldn't play worth a damn.

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Before TB/the internet, I don't remember really wanting more basses. There were 2 types of bass in the world: my bass, and other basses. Then I realised that other basses could also be my bass...

It's been downhill since that day.

On a side note, I've also been a gigging drummer for about 15+ years and really don't care about drum gear at all. Maybe I should join a forum :p

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Not everybody is nerd, sorry to break it to you.

andruca, Templar, late80s and 21 others like this.
  6. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    When I first started playing (late 80's/early 90's), I just played for fun. I got in a band, bought a cheap EG como amp, and a cheap no name bass. That did me for a while, until another one of the band mentioned how everyone else had brand name stuff but me. So, I bought an Ibanez and a Crate amp and on I went (for a little while). I bought some nicer stuff off and on for the next year or two.
    I quit playing for almost 6 years due to personal reasons and sold all of my stuff. Then when I picked up the bass again, I had a new excitement and vigor for it. I was playing bass now in my church praise team and in a Christian Hard Rock band as well. I bought new stuff and I didnt go cheap either. Mesa Boogie, GK, Warwick, EBMM, Fender, Glock, pedals, tuners, racks, etc, etc., etc. You guys get the picture.
    BUT, with Craigslist and Talkbass finding their way to me, I am probably talking about gear way too much, buying and trading gear way too much, and just being crazy over gear. EVERY DAY, I am on Craigslist and Talkbass, looking for deals, even when I dont have money to spend!!! I just start trying to figure out a way to trade something because I have so much gear now.
    But, I have met a lot of great people in Talkbass and keep in touch regularly with some of them. Also, we have GTG's in our area and I have made some good friends that way and talk gear a lot with them.
    All in all, I love buying, selling, trading, trying out new gear, hanging out and talking with fellow bass players.
    But anybody who is not a bass player, probably would read this and think I am a nut and downright stupid. And they might be right!!:D:D:D:)

7. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    I've met many bass players/guitarists/drummers/etc that don't give a damn about anything more than simply playing music.

I think there are way more musicians that aren't GASing over the hottest new item, than Internet forums would have us believe.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Pretty much this, though I think we probably have a higher average of actual talent than the "jack of all trades, master of none" and "armchair quarterback" types that seem so prevalent in the sports world.

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I agree.

And of the hundreds of bassists I've met face to face over the past decade, I haven't met a single one that was an active member here. I've met people who were familiar with Talkbass, but none that really participated.

Starting to think WE'RE the unique ones here.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Not sure I understand the correlation. There are pros here who are as obsessed with gear as hobbyists... and the bassists I know who aren't obsessed are also both hobbyists and pros.

BlueAliceOasis, hintz and Tanner5382 like this.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I have not had G.A.S for a long time. I enjoy going to music stores and checking out basses and gear; but, I don't have the money to splurge on any new toys. I wish I could afford to buy another bass; but, anything that interests me is expensive. I will be getting a new powered stage monitor soon though. The last time I bought an amp head was about 8 years ago. The last time I bought a new bass guitar was a Steinberger L2 in 1984 and I play it all the time. I still have my old 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 and a 1971 Epiphone bass; but, don't play them anymore. I still have my old bass amps and P.A. gear.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Try putting a Sadowsky or Fodera in their lap.

13. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I guess my point is that playing bass and being a bass nerd are separate things. You can be the biggest bass nerd on TB and still be a terrible player. Soccer is my only other experience with such people. Made sense in my tiny brain.

14. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I have one main bass. I came to bass after playing drums for 25 years. In those drum years, I realized after being obsessed with new gear and spending a lot of money that I sounded like myself no matter what kit I played on. Therefore when I switched to bass I used that lesson I learned and just bought one high quality main player. A few months after buying the first bass, I picked up a very cheap chinese Jazz knockoff for the express purpose of beating up. I really never play it though. Never have had GAS for another instrument. I can't imagine myself ever wanting, let alone buying, a custom $6000 bass, or even a $2000 Ric. Maybe it's just me, but most of the Ric players I see are kind of sad to watch. It's clear that most are middle aged dudes who finally have a little play money so they're going to live out their teenage fanstasies of being Squier, Lee or Lemmy. Then they obsessively post Youtube vids of them playing Red Barchetta. Very sad phenomenon to those who it affects. If I've just described you, please STOP!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    asands, FishDub, justincase93 and 3 others like this.
  15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Eh...I get more mileage talking amps. Basses are more subjective for me. I need to get my hands on them to get really excited/interested. I will happily oblige and even be interested in hearing about someone's new bass, though.

Furious_Man77 and 10cc like this.
  16. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    When my band isn't playing I work as a tech for a big tribute band. Everyone in the band has upgraded their equipment in the last year. Several have spent thousands on gear. The drummer has an all new drum set, new cymbals, and new mics. The guitar player bought two new guitars and a new amp and pedal board. The piano player has a new electronic piano and fake grand piano case. Everyone in the band also invested in custom molded in ear monitors.

Who hasn't upgraded their equipment? The bass player. He still using the same $400 bass he's had for 20 years with duct tape holding the batteries in and a knob missing and still using the same $100 earbuds that came with his in ear monitor system. When asked about getting some new gear he just shrugs and says it's working still. The band is quite successful and everyone has a great day job so it isn't a matter of money. It's also been hinted that everyone else stepped up their game to put on a better show and you're still here with the same old stuff from 20 years ago. Just not a priority for him is all I can assume.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  17. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    You don't need people like that in your life Mr. Nerve. They can't be trusted anyway. You should stop talking to them and delete them off Facebook, that'll teach em!!

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Some people see the bass as just a tool to get a job done. They are not really into brand names, value, aesthetics, etc. As long as it functions and sounds good they are happy.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I wear shoes but don't hang out at shoe stores or shoe related events

20. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Meh, I'm a gearhead in whatever I'm interested in whether it be music, cars, art, cooking, computers, etc., etc. I like the immersion. Some don't have that form of OCD. Lol :)