1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Player's Treat - A Bass Rearly Ever Seen In Actiion Plus More!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. You'll never pick up your bass again without acknowledging the need for proper head gear. It really does make a difference.

Flaunt it if you got it! :bassist:

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    That's what I call "feathered" hair!

:bag:

Got to try out a Longhorn the other day. Felt like I was going to break it the whole time :eek:. Must have weighed five pounds.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    What!?

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Steve Priest, The Sweet's bass player, is very underrated. The sound on that clip is terrible and it's not one of their best songs. But he could groove with the best of them.

If you're interested in The Sweet or the Glam Rock era, check out his book "Are You Ready Steve?"

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    LMAO--------and is that a Dan Electro ? Holy cripe-hahahahahahaha

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Don't worry about breaking a Dano...mine is about 45 years old and I've owned it for 31 years. Still rocking!

7. What I find interesting is how some of the bands at that time were jumping on the 'glitter' or 'glam' rock look. It all made for an interesting and somewhat exciting time. Bowie, T-Rex, The Sweet, New York Dolls, and others, had ventured off into a haze of glitter.

Do you think that'll ever rematerialize, or has it, but in another form?

8. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    Uh - Poison, Crue, Cinderella, Hanoi Rocks etc.

9. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I think Glam is somewhat rematerializing in bands like Scissor Sisters and the artist Mika. It is very pop based and somewhat commercialized but there are bands out there that have huge Glam influences. The Bravery also comes to mind...and IMO most of these bands that have Glam influences also have New Wave influences and are catagorized as Post-New Wave. Just my .02.

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Danos in action? Look no further than Golden Earring...

Radar Love

Bad sound, but here's Jack Bruce using one early on in Cream

I Feel Free

11. That was probably one of the first basslines that toched me in that special way. Radar Love! :eek: :hyper: :eek: :cool:

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The funny thing is that the original recording was done with a Gibson EB-3. I had a Longhorn for a while. A most wicked bass in sheep's clothing.

13. I see in the 77 Radar Love clip he had started with a single neck dano....very unique bass

14. How many of you knew the singer for Venus was a girl? See other posted vids...

15. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Just to clarify in case it hasn't been said, the bass in the Sweet clip looks like it might be a Hondo copy based on the headstock/tuners. :ninja:

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you want to switch to movies, there's a scene in Pillow Talk where Doris Day and Rock Hudson go to a bar, and the bassist in the band is using a Dano in that scene.

17. I ask you. Where else but on Talkbass.com can you get such detailed insight, information, and trivia? :p

Now dear bassfriends, how about another Dano clip....

18. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    i almost bought a dano longhorn once, then figured best to avoid

19. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    hondo did not release Longhorn copies until the early 80s.. AFAIK.. prior to that they only other company making Longhorns was Jerry Jones..

it's most likely a Dano with different tuners.. the stock tuners weren't all that good to begin with.. ;)

20. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I like this much more than some of the things I hear on contemporary radio these days.