1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Players Who Also Play Guitar..... A Little Help Needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ejaggers, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I’ve been predominately playing bass forever. I was a drummer in a band years ago, and I play piano fairly well although never in a band. I played bass violin in the orchestra from Jr High thru College, but guitar has always eluded me. I use to own a Fender Gemini II acoustic/electric guitar some years back, and even took lessons. But ended up selling it because I just couldn’t play it, and also to buy another bass.

Anyway I want to buy a guitar for some reason. Maybe because I can jam with a lead player without him having to bring anything, or maybe because I’m lying to myself again thinking I will learn how to play. Or maybe because I have enough basses and don’t need another one (although there’s an Artcore on CL that’s mighty tempting).

So for you bass players that play guitar, if you could only have one, would it be a strat, tele, LP, SG, or what?

I also love to mod, so I was thinking about an Affinity Strat, because we all know Squier has stepped up its game on basses, and I assume that applies to guitars as well. I’m not going over $200, and I’ve seen AFN’s for $60 lately which gives me mod budget. Other considerations are USA Peavey, or Ibanez (which I know nothing about. I don’t own an Ibanez bass at all).

So What Say You????

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    When I transmogrify into a guitar player, my weapon of choice is a Strat--got 2 of them, one set up for slide playing. I also use a Carvin occasionally.

If I could only take one with me, it would be the Strat--good all around workhorse guitar.

viper4000 likes this.
  3. Does it have to be only one? If it has, has, HAS to be one, then I guess a nice acoustic. That said, try several, and see what speaks to you. My "it goes in the coffin with me" is a 2009 road-worn strat. Like I said, it speaks to me.

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Ibanez Artcore hollowbody.

5. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Yes just one, at least for now. And since I'm not a guitar player, I would have to take a friend to check it out. I personally would pick it like you would a beauty contest rather than how it plays. That said, I'd pick something like these:

Price REDUCED AGAIN Talman By Ibanez Hollow-body
    New product !!! NEW GROTE BRAND Electric Semi Hollow Body RED COLOR 335 Guitar

tfer: I'd love an Artcore if I could find one in my budget

tfer likes this.
  6. MG514

MG514

Feb 25, 2015
    Auburn WA
    A MIM strat would be great, although you'd be very lucky to get one for $200. I have seen it happen though.

Local pawns and craigslist.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I personally could never pick just one. I have an LP, a Kramer Baretta, a Strat and a bunch of acoustics including a 12 string.

The Strat will cover the needs of, and be accepted in, ALL genres of music.

Get a Strat.

8. I'd see if you can find a used VM Squier. My main guitar (which I actually play more often than any of my basses) is a VM Jazzmaster (on the right in my avatar). I love it. I got it for just under 300$ new, I'm sure you could find a similar one for within your budget used.

9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Firebird.JPG

10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I am a pretty lousy guitar player but still own 4. Depending on my mood, my favorite is either my hardtail warmoth strat or my USA made reverend slingshot. If I were only going to have one, I'd probably want a Strat type with a bridge humbucker and 2 singles.

It would help to know what kind of music are you interested in playing? There are plenty of genres where you might be better served by one guitar that isn't all that versatile (e.g. old school country and a tele, sludgy metal and an SG or LP, Jazz and a hollowbody, punk and something stolen...)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    jd56hawk and lz4005 like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Dare to be different!
    15coz6f.
    However, since you want something a bit less expensive, I'd suggest an Epiphone SG or Les Paul.

12. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    My guitar has three strings so I don't think you want my advice

hrodbert696 and Fingerpickingood like this.
  13. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    If I could only have one guitar just to beat on, it would probably be a Tele. There isn't much they can't do and you can a decent one without spending a ton of money.

Of course, if you want to spend a lot on one great guitar, find a good ES-335. I have one as my main player and, like the Tele, it can do pretty much anything and it's beautiful. drooldrool:bassist:

Ericnordicbee and R Upsomegrub like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I recently bought a Squier CV '50s Tele for similar reasons. But I like the Telecaster sound - and especially how well it works with effects. So YMMV.

It's also a dirt simple guitar that's easy to modify and has plenty of body mass to rout out and play with if the standard pups that fit it won't work for you.

Can't go wrong with either a Squire or a Tele AFAIC when it comes to getting a nice sounding and playing solidbody for not a lot of money.

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  15. Depends a little on what kind of music you want to play. The Strat is the swiss army knife guitar above all others. But; if most of the stuff you want to play is on the heavier side of things; I'd go with a Les Paul. I use both; and they do overlap here and there; but basically I use a Strat for clean stuff and the Les Paul for overdrive.

16. I have a strat and a DBZ Diamond Royale (like an SG). I would probably vote Telecaster. I've never owned a telecaster but that's what I would look for.

17. Megalon

Megalon

Jan 2, 2016
    Strat, you can get a lot of sounds and cover multiple styles of music.

SteveCS likes this.
  18. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    I got me a G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe. Basically a carved top mahogany guitar with HH pickups, bolt on 25.5" neck in a Tele shape. I love it, but the Tele shape blows goat when playing with a strap. I keep thinking I should have gotten something with a better upper horn (such as the G&L Tribute Rampage or something like that) but none of those had that delicious $300 price tag that the ASAT had. I love how it sounds, looks and plays, though :)

Now I'm gassing for a Strat, not sure if regular or HSS. But something with a floating bridge and singles in the neck-middle.

19. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    As others have said, it really depends on what kind of music you wish to play. The only guitar still in my arsenal is an old BC Rich Mockingbird modded with locking tuners and a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup. That being said, an HSS Strat can pretty much take you anywhere.

Billyzoom likes this.
  20. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Tele, no doubt. The Telecaster is the Precision of the electric guitar world... simple, and it just works.

Go to www.tdpri.com and there you will find a world of tele advice if you want it.