Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass players, who needs em???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    First let me answer my own question, "BASS PLAYERS ARE HERE TO STAY, DEAL WITH IT"

Yes I am a bass player who has had the privledge of playing with keyboard players and organ players who like to play their bass lines on top/over yours:spit: I think some keyboard players actually believe they can use their midi, or bass synth, to repl the bassist, between the technolgy and the egos, (and I have nothing against technology, but)

1:can bands really be complete without a real bass player???
    2:can we continue to justify our existance when they have MIDI AND SYNTHS that can play the bass parts with just the left hand of a keyboard player?
    Ok, my fault,,,I should have ask the question this way, "can bands that USUALLY USE A REAL bass player, replace the bass player with electronics, and if so, why have a bass player at all?
    WHAT SAY YOU:

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, you're the one getting all defensive about synth bass - it sounds like you're the one who's ego is coming into play?

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If you plan on staying in this business for awhile as a bass player,then if I were you I would try to make Synth Bass a part of my repetoir i.e.try to be more of a versatile musician it will/can only increase more potential gigs for you,and also it is not a bad idea to learn the keyboard this will not only help your theory&ear doing this will make you a better musician.:)

4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    IMO, keyboard bass doesnt sound nearly as good as a bass player. I have seen a few bands through the years trying to make do with a keyboard bass and it always sounds really thin to me.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... I just figure whatever works, works. If that means no bass... Then maybe bass just doesn't belong in the song. It's all about the music.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    believe it or not, there are some songs in exsistance where they don't use guitar! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't believe you :D

No really though, y'know all you guys that post "Critique my band's new MP3" and "Check out my demo" type threads... are *any* of you making music that's not guitar based? It seems, demo after demo after demo... more guitar music... yawn! I'm bored of power chords, and cliched guitar arpeggios.

8. Ever hear a "coffee house acoustic gig" where there are just a singer and an acoustic guitarist?

No bassist!!! Blasphemy!!:eek::D

Ever hear a "piano bar gig" with just one guy playing piano and singing???

No bassist!!! What is this world coming to???:eek::D

Yes, there are also multi-piece bands that do synth bass & sequenced bass. Some do well and sound great actually. There was an article in BassPlayer mag recently that covered this topic. Personally, I'd love to play a few songs on key bass just for a different feel and sound.

Yes, I think it's rude if a band has an electric bass player and the keyboardist is walking all over his territory. I'd be tempted to say "Look dude, either stay out of the bass clef, or I'll just play congas on this song.":cool:

P.S. - A DB or BG player, with good feel, good tone, and a good attitude will find work sooner or later and I am confident that the art will not become obsolete..... ever.

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I don't think so, but your are welcome to your own opinion.

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I think most bands are better with a bassist, but as long as it has some form of bass clef action, it is fine. But nothing can replace a true bass player.

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    You know, one of my favourite bands is Apparat Organ Quartet, a band with 4 organs and a drummer!

12. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Ok, my fault,,,I should have ask the question this way, "can bands that USUALLY USE A REAL bass player, replace the bass player with electronics, and if so, why have a bass player at all?

I like the responses thus far, if my opening post sounded like I had a bit of an attitude, its just from dealing with a real on going issue on my behalf. NO DISRESPECT TO ANYONE WHO PLAYS KEYS, I LOVE YOU GUYS!! (most of the time)

:D :bawl:

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, welcome to 1982.

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You should use whatever sounds best for the music.........

Stevie Wonder is one of my favorite bass-players. His Mini-Moog lines are incredible. And Jimmy Smith lays down some mean bass on his organ.

But to replace a bass player, why not? If it sounds good, then do it.

It is motivation for us to work harder and sound better.

15. White Stripes = no bass

16. LoreBard

LoreBard

Sep 2, 2002
    Canada
    Bass isn't the most important insturment out there, believe it or not.
    Tribal african music only used drums, and other percussionary sounds, lots of folk music only uses vocals and a rhythmic guitar. There have been solo jazz pianists, etc.

Synth basses are used in stead of real ones. The advantages? You don't need to argue with a machine. Disadvantages? A real bassist can tackle many more techniques and sounds much more effectivly than any machine could.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

White Stripes = The worst recorded drumming I think I have ever heard.