1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass players who play a lot of 90's alt/grunge/emo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ciananlee, Nov 5, 2013.

1. tell me about your tone or how to get a well rounded tone for these genres!

2. Buy a bass, probably a fender, maybe a Gibson, and a big amp, maybe an ampeg, maybe whatever you can find in a pawn shop. Big speaker cabinets. Doesn't matter what speakers, so long as they work. Kustom amps also work well. Play with a pick. BAM. 90s.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Ampeg SVT CL/fridge

Rickenbacker 4001

TAFM

Heavy pick

4. I totally forgot about ricks, and don't forget a big muff!

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Lose a lot of low end with a Muff. I'd go TAFM or B:Assmaster. Pickle Pie B at a minimum.

6. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

May 30, 2010
    P Bass, GK 800RB, 2x15 cab. and a RAT pedal.
    Done.

7. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I use a Hartke head/cabinet and Boss GT-10B for amp modeling (to get a more Ampeg-like sound), EQ and effects (mostly overdrive) and have lots of patches ready to go, mostly variations on EQ depending on venue acoustics. Sometimes I'll use a pick when songs call for it--even then I prefer to play more aggressively to get a similar sound. Works for me when using a J with rounds or Chromes, or a P bass with rounds.

8. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    My cover band plays a lot of 90s stuff. Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Pixies, Weezer, Sublime, Bush, and Green Day just to name a few.
    I play a Fender MIM P into a GK Goldline 500 and a Ampeg PF410HLF. Pedalboard consists of Crybaby BassWah>Aguilar TLC compressor>Bass Big Muff>Sansamp.
    Amp settings usually as follows:
    Bass: 11 o'clock
    Low mid: 1 o'clock
    High mid: 1 o'clock
    Treble: 2 o'clock
    Keeping those set I'll use my Sansamp and tone control on the bass to tweak my sound and I can generally get a tone close to the original using this setup. I also use a pick about half the time.