Bass players who play another instrument.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 23, 2004.

1. How many of you consider yourselves a bass player first and foremost, but also pursue another instrument?

I'm thinking about buying a guitar. I have been recording a lot on my computer but I'm kind of limited when all I can do is bass and drums. I need an instrument with a different sound that I can play chords with. That way I can write something suitable for vocals.

I guess my concern is, will it hurt my bass playing or make it stronger? I'm worried my bass playing will suffer if I devote a lot of time to a new instrument. How do you guys practice two instruments?

I don't know why I'm "worried", it's not like I'm a professional. I just play for my own enjoyment. I'm lucky to be able to play in my church.
    A guitar would be just the thing when I get burned out on the bass.

I'm just rambling...........
  2. Any knowledge about any instrument can only help you on bass.
  3. I also play the Tuba here at Umass Amherst, but the bass gets me more gigs. :D
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

***Wow Nick, I went to ZOOMass SpamHerst... err... 12 years ago... Man, that is a fun School... Especially Butterfield (if it is still around) :D

Anyways, sorry for the side-tracking... Drums/percussion really improved my time and my chops a bit.... Classical guitar used to really whip my fingers into shape.

5. Haha, no kidding man! Butterfield is still around and its an all freshman dorm all the way at the top of that freakin hill. I myself am in Orchard Hill.
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    It wasn't a Freshman dorm when I lived there ;) .

(PM'd... )

B'field was where Richard Gere (the actor), Frank Black(from the pixies), Buffalo Tom (the band), one of the Deal Sisters (from the breeders/pixies), J. Mascis, Jason Berube (bassist) lived when they all went to Umass....

You know that Taj Mahal went to Umass and lived in Knowleton house (northeast) back then!!!

Sorry for the Hijack Y'alll!!!
  7. I used to play guitar first and foremost...but always wanted to try one day i bought a bass and it turned out i was a bassist at heart...i sold all my guitars and bought more basses to replace them.
    This summer i wouldnt mind picking up a cheapy guitar again for some home recording...(if i can ever find the time)
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    recorder -> sax -> most woodwinds -> bass -> guitar -> keys

Recorder because every kid in my 2nd grade class learned it. Sax becaus ecome 4th grade I wanted to play... but my school offered NO STRINGS. I was first row second chair Sax so I was the guy that needed to do oboe, bassoon, alto clarinet, bass clarinet, etc. As soon as I could I got my first bass... I am a bassist. I took up guitar 2 years after starting bass and still play one today. I bought a yamaha digital piano and an upright real piano because I want to learn... but haven't made it happen yet (though I know a little and I make noise on them).

but I am forever a bassist first. it is the 'voice' I speak with :bassist:
  9. PastorStan

Feb 24, 2004
    Redmond, WA
    Guitar, becuase I idolize my cousin (, Cello, violin (my parent's idea when I was younger), and piano (really helped my theory. In fact, it's at a point where I visualize all my theory on the piano)
    Wanna learn drums... :cool:
  10. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i've played classical violin since i was 7 years old (17 now)
    I feel that it has helped me a great deal! especially in first attempting to play bass. Then eventually with theory etc. My only problem, was that if i switched quickley from bass to violin, or had beed playing bass all day anf then gone for a violin lesson, i would start accidentally playing bass fingerings and notes etc. on the violin. Very frustrating. Now its all better though :D
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Some Pros:

Marcus Miller - Bass Clarinet
    Jaco Pastorius - (Played) Drums
    John Myung - Keyboard
    Flea - Trumpet
    Les Claypool - Banjo (I believe)