Bass players who play hockey

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stubborne, Mar 14, 2018.

1. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Any beer leaguers out there? I see a couple of threads discussing NHL but thought it would be interesting to hear from the guys who suit it up and bleed for their entertainment. I started playing beer league at 38 yrs young after enrolling my very young son in a local rec league. After a few afternoons in the bar with the other dads, I was talked into joining the learn-to-play program and been playing once a week (and sometimes on Sundays) for the last 15 years. Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

corndog likes this.
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You story sounds very close to mine, but I started at 36yo, and this is the end of my second season! I've had tons of fun, but between my son's hockey schedule and my own, I'm a little burned out and need a break over the summer!

stubborne and corndog like this.
  3. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Used to be. Played all through high school up into my early 20s, then took about 15 yrs away from participating in the game. Still was an avid fan, but during the 80s & 90s there weren't many rinks here in Phoenix.

When my son became old enough I started coaching again, and played in men's leagues a few years, but it got to be too much time at the rink, especially with some games at 11pm.

I last played in an over-35 league about five years ago but even that wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. Having not played for so many years my timing was so far off it was embarrassing. Skating and stickhandling was fine...passing and anticipating/reading the play was noticeably lagging. Nowadays I don't actively participate, but still follow the sport avidly.

4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Played roller hockey but can't skate on ice to save my life. Very cool to hear folks getting into stuff in their thirties (especially since I'm in my mid 30s,so I got hope!). Skate on bass brothers!

stubborne and corndog like this.
  5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Don't play hockey but I learned to snow ski and windsurf in my 30's. I spent my 20's drinking and doping, I got to have a lot of new experiences when I walked away from that.

corndog likes this.
  6. I love hearing about guys picking up the sport in their 20's and 30's, it can be done. Myself, played the game since I was 5. Played at a very high level until I was 15, then discovered girls and lost interest and quit. Starting playing beer league hockey at 26 and am still playing at 51. I plan to keep going so I can play with my son in a few years, but the knees are starting to go. @dwm74, I agree with you, get away from the game and you loose things, it happened to my as well. My timing and stickhandling was gone, and I never got it back. Even with 40 years of playing the game, its not like riding a bike.

I look forward to my weekly game, but work travel and my sons hockey gets in the way a lot. I have just as much fun in the dressing room with the guys as I do on the ice, its the most I laugh all week, sharing beers and stories, great fun. Many of the guys I play with I've know since highschool, I almost consider them my brothers.

Great thread OP, lets keeps the stories and experiences going.

stubborne, dwm74 and slobake like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I played ice, roller and dek hockey goalie from my mid 20s until about 40 - even played in a national roller hockey tournament in Vegas. Retired a few years ago. Actually was about to sell my used pads to get them out of my garage.

Nothing like playing roller hockey goalie in the summer - I would lose 10-15 pounds of water in a game. Then one beer in the locker room and I was looped.

corndog and stubborne like this.
  8. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    My son turned 18 5 years ago and we spent 3 years on the same team. That was the ultimate. The years leading up to that had me worried tho. He spent his youth playing and was much more advanced, of course. But, it worked out. I had to move up a league and could hang, barely, with those kids. We are separated now by a bit of geography, so I'm back where I should be in the "C" league. Since turning 50 a few years ago, it certainly is a physical battle anymore. Knees, wrists and hands (which will affect my bass playing) are always sore or wrenched. But, hell man, it's totally worth it. The activity keeps me alive, the boys at the rink are all life long buds, even as they come and go off the team. Band and hockey are my two life long obsessions, it would be really difficult to give up either.

5thsand4ths and corndog like this.
  9. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Life of a hockey dad! Pretty soon they'll con you into coaching rec because they are always looking for help. You'll be sucked into the vortex, only returning when your son finally graduates! Have fun, enjoy, those are great times.

corndog likes this.
  10. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Yeah, our latest is 11:45PM. I skate at a one sheet rink, so ice is at premium - especially starting in fall. You know the old guys get last dibs. Then it's an hour after the game drinking beer w/ the boys... maybe another hour getting the body to shut down.. in bed by 2? Up and at em for work at 6.. dam, I'm tired just typing this.

dwm74 and corndog like this.
  11. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Don't retire! I've played goalie a few times, it is a blast. And, I hear understand about losing that water weight, especially with ice pads - man, they are heavy.

True story.. one game I subbed for our goalie: Everything was going ok, about 5 mins in goalie pukes all over the crease. Bad hotdog or something, who knows. Forfeit is out of the question, so I followed him into the locker room and proceeded to put all of his gear on... puke and all. I think they lit me up for 10 or so. Anyway, we didn't forfeit.

corndog likes this.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha, I already did this past season! Just assistant coach, though.

corndog likes this.
  13. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    upload_2018-3-15_9-58-57.png

dwm74 and Tony G like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Too old - my back is too old for ice hockey. If I could find a local dek hockey or roller hockey league, I would consider it.

stubborne likes this.
  15. I am coaching my son's team and we are in the playoffs. It's a love hate relationship for me as we are working with 15, 16 and 17 year old boys and we never know which group of kids are going to show up. They either have it that day or they don't!
    Fishheadjoe

buldog5151bass and stubborne like this.
  16. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    I coached my son through high school and I totally get it.

17. Played through high school and then fell away from it. I bought some new skates a few years back (my old pair were stolen out of my car, for some reason) as I just felt weird not owning a pair, even if I wasn't playing. I take my kids skating but my oldest (9) doesn't quite yet have the coordination to skate and his drive for sports is quite a bit less than his drive for academics so he's not too into it.

I still have all my gear and keep telling myself that I'll start playing again someday. Unfortunately, the rec league near me is comprised of about five teams with rosters that are unchanged over years and years playing games at 9:15 or 10:45 pm on Fridays. I loved playing and hope to play again but from everyone I've talked to (even the guys who play in it) I understand that the local league is pretty toxic.

stubborne likes this.
  18. I played when I lived in Vegas. I was never very good, but I had fun. I tried goalie for a while, and while I loved it, I think my GAA was about 11.

corndog and stubborne like this.
  19. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

Man, a hockey-playing bass player. What a concept! I would like to see an artist's rendition of that knuckle-dragging, drooling beast!drool

stubborne likes this.
  20. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Chirping!! That's the best part of hockey! Hockey/Bass Player - hard to figure out the lowest common denominator.

Ant Illington likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021