bass playing and weightlifting..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by x15, Jan 2, 2005.

1. x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    can lifting weights..say around 4kg..get in the way of your fingerstyle flexibility..let me know please..because i read some where that weight lifting tightens your playing ability..
  2. Personally, I wouldn't see why, and it might make holding a heavy bass on your back for a long time easier. Just don't strain your wrists/forearms, which may impede on your playing.
  3. BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    I don't think it hapmered Beaver Felton's bass playing, the guy did Olympic lifting, for those who don't know, O-lifting puts great strain on the muscles, legaments and tendons, and the grip gets a NASTY workout!
  4. A lot of professional weight lifters have great flexibility. Remember they gotta strech out before and after workouts.
  5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    How could getting inshape hurt your bass playing?
    I've found it helps my playing.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Me Too! :cool:
  7. it helps your playing because your working out properly.

However if you injure yourself and pull a muscle or something, playing bass becomes really difficult..
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Working out your entire body is a great way to warm up. Plus there are some arm muscles involved in figure movement. Also, there is no way that being in shape can hurt you.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I bet whoever wrote that weightlifting tightens your bass playing abilities was an out of shape loser. Either that or they meant makes you a tighter player.