Bass Playing as a Career?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alright, Im a very new bassist (only about 1.5 years experiance) but I love the instrument more and more with every passing day and every time I play it, I fall in love all over again.

I started taking lessons a few months back, and raelly delving back into music theory (hadnt touched it since I dropped violin a fwe years back) and find it much more rewarding now on bass.

I believe that this is my instrument for life. I love it so much and hope this love stays for as long as possible, so I was curious as to how to make a career or side money out of it.

Im thinking of applying to Berklee for my undergrad program and I was wondering if it is worth going in as a dual major. My main career goal (journalism, my other love) unfortunately pays very little dividends, so coming out of college, I may need more support to pay off loans and what not.

Are bassists needed in local music scenes, on the spot jazz performances, etc?

Because, if I could make some side money later in my life, I can't say I would complain. If not, well, then by god ill play for myself :D
  2. Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Get a loud acoustic and play it on the city streets next to the bass' open case :D

Hey, it's some spare change. It's my life plan... :bassist:
  3. I want to do it as a career and if you can find the right spot (near pubs and such) then you'll be needed. Get a good enough to write and publish a book and teach lessons. Do plays around town. This is how my teacher lives. Bass all day and he gets paid for it.
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'd love to make a career out of bass playing.... if one of my bands actualy starts to not suck, and goes big (fat chance I know) then that would be sahweet. but basically anything would do...
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Probably the best advice you can get is - get a real job first!

It's not always easy being a professional musician, so you'll be wise to have some secondary education you can go to when the phone ain't ringing. Besides, with secondary job, you can always help to pay your studies at Berklee or similar school.

Sure, it's few more years of education, but you can play bass for the whole time and get valuable experience as a musician.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I made the decision to go into a completely different profession because it's extremely difficult to make a decent living as a bass player. There are a few gigs out there, some studio players and hired guns can make a good buck. But, it's incredibly competitive, there are so many great players for so few jobs, and I'm just too pig-headed to play what someone else wants me to play, if I don't like it.