bass playing for a living

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FLEAfanNO1!!!, Jun 29, 2002.

1. FLEAfanNO1!!!

Jun 29, 2002
    hi all
    can sum1 please help me and tell me what i need to do to become a session bassist thanx v-much
  2. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    First, Move to where there is a recording industry. Hang out and try to get a job at a studio.

Secondly, Learn to read proficiently-also be fluent in the number system.

Thirdly- be able to play every style imaginable. Especially, the stuff you hate. This will set you apart from all the others that hate that stuff too.

Learn to listen, Producers generally like to tell you vaguely what to do and you do it perfectly. They don't usually like to be given "suggestions" unless you're asked.

Get yourself a metronome and live with it. 24/7. sleep with the thing on.

Be aware of your technique and be able to consistently give the same tone with fingers, pick, mute, slap, pop, coke bottles. Tone and consistently are of utmost importance in the studio.

Be able to play repetatively, the same song, the same way, the same tone, the same dynamics, over and over again.

Be somewhere where session bassists are needed, and befriend session drummers. They will often give reccommedations, as drums and bass interplay and grooveability are essential.

Hope it helps,

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wrong forum