1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass playing in thrash metal?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 11, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    How do you guys manage to write basslines for thrash metal without mirroring the rhythm guitar...I'm tired of it.. :bag:

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Listen to Cliff in Kill 'Em All/Ride The Lightning... he does follow the guitar a lot but does some interesting things under chords. It's hard not to if your guitarist is always doing those chugga-chugga riffs. ;)

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    listen to steve harris

4. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Don't listen to Steve Harris. Iron Maiden isn't thrash metal.

Listen to Testament. Greg Christian didn't always copy the guitars, and Steve DiGiorgio was in the band for a short time- you know he didn't just chug 16ths on the root.

5. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    +1 on testament. I think they have a great formula and I am looking very forward to seeing them locally next month.

Another thing to consider to is check the settings of your guitarist. Maybe you have to play the same much of the time, but if you have the settings right you will enjoy it much more.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

Yeah but just about every thrash band in the world was influenced by Maiden, hence the Steve Harris reference.

7. Annihilator is good too, although I think the guitarist recorded the basslines.

8. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Steve Digiorgio also had great work in Sadus, one of the finest thrash metal bands at one time. Any album other than their most recent one has loads of great bass in the thrash metal realm.