1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass plays at 1/4 volume on different rig

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by black rabbit, Sep 15, 2008.

1. black rabbit

black rabbit

Nov 23, 2007
    I traveled out of town this past weekend to play a show and used someone else's bass rig (svt classic tube head + ampeg 810).

when i plugged in my ernie ball stingray to the rig it only played at about 1/4 the volume it was supposed to. i changed the battery for the active pickups but it didn't make a difference in the sound.

when i plugged in the other bands Fender jazz bass the rig worked fine.

i havent had a chance to try my bass out on my own gear since i got home, but does anyone know if this is related to the active pickups on the bass or is it possible there could be something wrong with the wiring in the bass itself?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    First, try the musicman on your rig again, is it business as usual?
    If yes, then there's a good possibility that nothing is wrong with your electronics.

How is your rig compared to the rig in which you recently played on? Are you going from your bass straight into a head, then a cab?

Was the input pad on or off? Which input were you plugged into?
    (seeing that you are referring to the SVT classic)

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    It would be irresponsible to offer a suggestion without knowing how your bass reacted into a different rig; changing one element at a time is critical to effective trouble-shooting. You changed basses and it worked, which points to a potential problem with your Stingray, so now you should definitely try your Stingray into a different amp & see how it fares. Try to use the same patchcord you used on the gig if possible, so as to eliminate too many variables.

fwiw, I did a gig about a month ago where an SVT was provided by the backline company, & the first time I plugged in it sounded weak, thin, anemic, super-low volume. I checked to make sure the standby switch wasn't engaged, made sure all the controls were somewhere in the middle of their travel, made sure my bass volume was up (!), cycled all the knobs & switches... finally I unplugged my bass, scratched my head, debated going to the promoter to tell him the rig was defective...and then on a whim plugged back in and the amp worked fine. I have no idea what could've been the problem. Gremlins.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Bad jack contact? Gunk/film buildup?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There are so many possibilities that it's almost impossible to diagnose!

In the past I have had many things go wrong where I was sure it was one thing but turned out to be another...:meh:

So like - speaker lead conking out - even when it was a guaranteed monster cable.

Also - dodgy power connections on amp head, loose input jack on bass - or even lead not being pushed firmly enough into input jack etc. etc.

6. black rabbit

black rabbit

Nov 23, 2007
    on my own i play out of 2 heads (both solid state) and 2 cabs. i run it through a couple of pedals, but when i ran into this problem the other night i plugged directly into the head to make sure it wasn't the pedals.

one weird thing i noticed about the borrowed bass rig was that he had 2 speaker cables coming out of the head and going into the cab. i was under the impression this was bad for the gear, but he insisted that using two cables was the only way to use the full 8x10 cab. even if this were the issue, it still would not explain why my bass didn't work with the setup...