1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass plug in question, and a couple others....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by murph7489, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have an amp that has an active plug and a plug for passive..The bass has an Active Eq...but the pickups are passive...would that be better in the passive plug in, or the active...I think personally that qualifies it to be plugged into the active circuit...any thoughts on this...and another question..

I love the P/J pickup combo, especially if they are active...I like active better, so let me hear your thoughts on the P/J combo, then if you would be so kind I would like to hear some thoughts on active vs. passive pickups....thanks everyone, have a wonderful holiday season as always bass it on love...

2. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Active eq qualifies for active input. Unless plugging into the passive input sounds better. ;)

3alfa3 and murph7489 like this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It really only depends on if the amp is distorting from too hot of an instrument signal.
    Some actives are way hotter than others.

4. Whatever sounds best to you.
    The only difference is a pad on active inputs, and only in rare cases, a changed input impedance.
    Pads don't help the sound one bit. I don't like them.

5 of my 6 basses are active across a bunch of brands, plus I get to play around with many others that come in for setups/repair.
    Only seen ONE that was too hot for the passive inputs on my amps, and it had a trim pot on it's preamp that let me dial it down.

Bass preamps today seem to be designed to match output fairly closely to passive levels.
    The only problem would be if you also used a preamp or active DI on your pedalboard that raised the level too much.

I wouldn't worry about it--use the passive input unless you encounter problems like too much signal to a mixing board from your direct output jack.