1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass pod and jbl eon's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richieclare, Oct 2, 2008.

1. richieclare

richieclare

Sep 19, 2007
    Hey my fellow bassists

Need a little help and advice. My church is about to move into a brand new building which means that the little marshall amp i've been playing through for the last few years needs to be retired from main stage duties. I was thinking that rather than spend lots of money on a new rig that I would utilise the podxt live that we have.

I'd go direct into the pa but use a jbl eon g2 for monitoring on stage. I know a few guitarist are using this set up successfully but can not find any bassists who do. What are your thoughts/opinions on this kind of set up? would it be best to use the eon g2 as i'd probably be having vox and guitar coming through there (it'll be my main monitor) or should I use a g2 sub because it is also my bass amp? Or is it just a bad idea altogether and should i just buy a new bass amp?

Thanks for any thoughts, coherent or otherwise

Rich

2. Cant see you having any problems doing that at all :)

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Eons work fine as monitors. They are not the best but they certainly are designed to handle a full range of mixes, including bass. A POD is the perfect preamp to go direct if you are not using an amp at all, because it can simulate the cabs & mics as well. I prefer in-ears or a bass cab + wedge, but I own some Eons as well and they work fine when that's what you've got.

4. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    My guess is that whatever you use for the front end you will have to really warm up the sound. I tried to use a 10" Eon for a bass monitor on a coffeehouse gig with just an EQ pedal and it sucked. Really,really sterile. :crying:

JKT

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I tried it with a Pod and Mackie and it was OK, but there was a lot of hiss from the horn.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have owned G1 and now own G2 Eons 10s and 15s. They reproduce full range and upper register stuff excellently. The punch that bass requires? :rollno: I use a real bass amp even for low volume gigs. I also want my Eons sounding great for vocals not damaged by the transients that direct bass could cause. For real bass wood cabs sound better than plastic to me. I love my Eons!

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have a pair of the Series 1 EON 15's - no wya would I play bass through them without a hi pass filter at 100 to 120 using a very steep curve... they aren't designed for it. They are really meant for vocal and maybe acoustic instrument support - that's about it ... great tool, wrong tool for the job though ...

8. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I use that type of box as bass amp exclusively , I have a Mackie SRM450 and a RCF ART310A.
    With the right preamp , it's very clean.
    Some don't like that clean-ness though.......

:confused::confused::confused:What ????? :confused::confused::confused:
    What do you mean ?

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Well as the above post stated he'd curb the lows. You may have a different technique or bass or touch and it works. I want an amp to do anything my fingers and heart want to do. I don't slap and pop but I like big full bottom even when playing with an unmiked acoustic guitarist in a living room. I don't want my gear to suffer or not do it's job. Life's too short. Transients. The big thing that happens when you hit a string. Play big loud Led Zepplin through your stereo. Then plug your bass in and play that loud. Ooops blown speakers. Why? They can't handle that. They can handle compressed limited feed.
    Eons are too good to screw up. If it's working for you I can't deny it.

10. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    in my experience, eon's are just not that good for bass. i personally don't like the sound of any jbl stuff i've heard recently. but, if getting a different wedge or something is out of the question, just make sure you eq your pod knowing that too much lows will make that speaker distort and get nasty real quick. honestly though, i say get a small combo amp or maybe a powered mackie srm450. the mackie will handle lows much better, but could still suffer the same problems as the jbl

11. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    The EQ pedal was a preamp, right? EQ pedals that come to my mind don't bring the signal up to line level and would be terrible preamps. I've used a multi-effects pedal as a preamp, but it had volume control that brought the input near line level and had amp simulation.

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses

Yeah it wasn't a gain issue, more of a character one.