Bass POD as amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jul 8, 2002.

1. I am very much confused. I own a POD (thanx to my neighbor who is Line 6's CTO) and I have heard that you can use the POD as a head on top of your cab. I do not currently own a cab, but I was thinking of purchasing one in hopes that I could use the POD as the head instead of spending more money on that too. Is this true? I am still a beginner so spare me your ribbing, lol ;) . If so, how is this achieved?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You plug the POD into a poweramp, and the poweramp into the Cabs.

QSC and Carvin seem to be the main choices for players here on TB.

Some people think it sounds like doo, and should only be used for recording. Others think it works just fine as a pre-amp, but the live effects are best left untouched. Others still think that both the preamp and the effects are great.
    Verdict: Try. Chances are, you'll figure something ou.
  3. So basically, you buy a cab, you have to buy a head, no ifs, ands, or buts?
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, yes, of course you HAVE to buy a cab.

And yeah, the POD has no real power source of it's own, so you need a poweramp to feed the cabs. However, if you buy a poweramp, you would only be spending about 350-400 bucks, and getting about 1000 watts of power, which is a lot of power that most head don't have. However, with the rack system, you're also more vertatile as far as pre-amps go.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, its good for recording, but just not punchie enough for me in a live setting. just too polite sounding.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Let me see if I can clarify.

A head is actually a pre-amp and power amp combined.

The pre-amp processes the signal and shapes the tone. Its job is to prepare the signal for the poweramp. This is where the bass and trebble knobs are.

The power amp comes after the pre-amp, and its job is to amplify the signal so that it can be used by the speakers.

The Bass POD is only a pre-amp, and you need a seperate poweramp to go with it.

Many bassist use pre-amp/ poweramp setups. The Bass POD is similar, but differnt because it has the option of several different pre-amps in one package.

I hope that clarifies.