Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Pod...I fell for it

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RAM, Feb 1, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, in the never ending quest to find all of the effects and sounds that I could ever want, all at the stomp of a foot or twist of the wrist, I walked into my local Guitar Center. I had to talk to the "bass guru" (who's been playing half as long as I: isn't that ironical???;)), so I could get the best effects for my needs.

He disposes me of all my openmindedness and leads me directly to the Bass Pod. I should have known right then and there that this would be what I walked out with...after all, here I am, armed with hundreds of dollars, and willing to spend it on my favorite pasttime. Hmmm...sound like trouble to you?

Well, it's worse...I actually bought the thing, and I actually regret it! Don't get me wrong: it seems like a wonderful unit. However, after talking to many people, including pros and retailers who carry the Bass Pod as well as other "toys", I quickly realized my initial fear about the Bass Pod: it's not designed to be used as an effects unit as much as it's designed to be used in the studio for amp simulation.

And, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying anything negative about the Bass Pod...I think it's a wonderful unit, and has tremendous possibilities and tone shaping capabilities. But, I don't think it's for everybody...if you're looking for effects, stomp boxes or even rackmounted multi-effects are probably the best way to go. If you do a lot of studio work, the Bass Pod may be a better solution.

So, this weekend I'll make my trek back to Guitar Center armed with my frustrations and the Bass Pod that they'll be receiving back in stock. And, the worst part is, I still haven't accomplished my goal of finding the best effects for my arsenal:(

Chalk it up to another learning experience.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If they have a DigiTech BP8 you might thank yourself for checking that out. It has pretty good effects, (advertised as "studio quality,"), uses a 12AX7, has a fretless simulator among a lot of other effects, and is still a stage-ready, stomp box. And it's in the upper range of stomp box $$$ you are willing to spend.

I guess your salesman was a drummer.

3. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I agree with you on the bass pod. I was looking for a live rig to go with and a child bass player took me straight to the pod, even though I asked to check out the demeter pre-amp. I tried them both out. The child came back and said " see what I told you." And I said that the pod sounded good, but nothing on the amp simulator sounded as good as the demeter, he was floored and left me alone. I think if you want a good live setup, tailored for you...you should put the time and the money and buy the effects separately. If you have the $300-$500 that you were going to spend on the pod, you will have a good start to a great effect board that you can completely make sound just like you want. Why do you think most pros go with separate effects instead of the all-in-one processors? Just one mans opinion...
    cameron dye

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On the one hand, I'm kind of pissed off at Guitar Center. I tried out the Bass Pod once before, and even worked with the same guy. He didn't want to listen to me. I told him I wanted to "explore my options" with regards to effects, asking about brands that I know such as Digitech, TC Electronics, and EBS (Afterall, I do have an EBS amp).

I kind of wanted a multi-effects unit, such as the TC Electronics G-Major, but it doesn't do everything...just some things. I should have known better...I'm kind of pissed at myself, too! But, good salespeople at these places are few and far between...I know there are some, and some even visit this board for a while. But, I've had a very difficult time trying to find a decent salesman at those places...that's why I usually only go in there to screw around. Now I'm even less enchanted with those "Super Stores"...

So, now that I've done more investigating, I'm thinking along the lines of the following:
    1. EBS Unichorus
    2. EBS Octabass
    3. EBS Bass IQ
    4. SansAmp Bass Driver (some have told me that this is particularly good for getting additional dirt)

I'm still flexible, since I haven't actually shelled out the bucks. But, if anyone has alternatives for me to try out, I'm open to suggestions.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    RAM, there's nothing wrong with the SansAmp, but why not complete the set with another EBS pedal?

Check out the EBS BassDrive...
    http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/EBS/PR/BassDrive.html

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i completely understand you. my opinion on the pod is the following. i 'll buy a pod as soon as possible and i have the intention to use it to expand my clean sound setting as in the studio as live. this why my actual setup is a little bit strange. my rickenbacker 4001 is not the most versatile bass around and my favourite sound come out from an old all tube head without equalizer and gain. unluckly i do not have enough money to buy a versatile bass (my dream bass is a g&l asat) and i do not the idea to sell the rick, i love it, love neck and playablity and this sound is a huge part of my sound. and i do not have money to buy another head, i have also a svt3 pro for the live and tour, the tube head is so old that i'm afraid to take it with me in the rain and snow of the winter...and i'm satisfied, but i tried the pod and i was amazed by the possibility to have so many different sounds. the most interesting thing seems to be the equalizer that is really awesome combined with the amp and cab simulation. it doesn't matter if not all of the amp and cabs are so similar to the original i do not know a lot about all of them and it is childish the point of view to compare this emulations with the original thay sound better for sure but they are not so cheap!! i intend the pod as a marvellous shortcut to have different sounds to work and play with. the effects are a nice plus, i'll work with them too, with the phaser, the chorus and the distortion but i know that this unit is not a multi effects unit. these kind of effects are like a little bit of spice in the box. i intend to use the pod as d.i. and a modulator of clean sounds before my head. the head i have is wonderful to amplificate. i'm sure that all those pots will make me smile...and its much cheaper than a new bass or a new amp!!! i'll buy it used in the next month, a lot of guys will sell it after the moment of joy. my suggestion for the best multieffect unit is to combine different gear, try to find an used alesis midiverb for clean sounds, add a distorion pedal like the big muff pi or the rat and a wah and you'll have a lot to deal with! for distorted sound i suggest also a preamp with different channels, the old hughes and kettner tubeman plus for guitar in rack format is absolutely amazing on the bass (tube preamp with 3 channels, clean, crunch and lead and a good equalization) ebs are awesome but not so cheap. i think that there are a lot of pedals really good out there but theay are not so easy to try and they are expensive. personally i'm interested in fulltone pedals, they seem to be great, but i've never tried one!! and if i could efford i'll buy only old stompboxes, be sure!!
    good luck

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd totally agree with you, except for one thing...I contacted Matthews and Ryan, the distributor in the US for EBS, and they said that EBS hasn't begun manufacturing this pedal. In fact, M&R thinks that the pedal may make its way to the US as early as June...and, that's a total guess on their part. I don't want to wait.

Other suggestions?

8. It's interesting that more than one person has said that a salesperson has taken them directly to the Pod without really listening to what the customer really wants. I went in to a local shop looking for a better delay unit than my DD-3 and before I could even look at the other options the Line 6 delay modulator was hooked up and a bass was in my hands. And it was totally freakin cool but way over the top and too rich for me. I've also had to fight off advances from the Pod when I was looking for some basic stomp boxes.
    I think Line 6 has some sort of incentive program, like saleperson of the year, or better yet a commission pyramid! A toy deffinately worth being aware of the tool and the hype

I think Pods are evil, they work against us creating our unique sound by rigging up miles of wires and making the best sound possible out of what we have.

9. Of all of those pedals.. the BassIQ is the only one I've tried.. but it is definitely the single best pedal I've ever tried.

I wish I knew more about the Lovetone Meatball (better yet.. I wish I could compare the BassIQ and the Meatball side by side with my basses and my amp), but odds are I will end up buying a BassIQ sometime over this summer.

10. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    Pod, just like invasion of the body snatchers...aliens are making clones of us in the P.O.D. (Praternal Order of Drummers) and when there are enough pods out to people, they are going to let them go kill their owner and take their place in the world. And then the drummers will control the rythym section and not have to be complained at for playing to loud....you know how drummers are...by the bass players. It all makes sense now, I bet the drummers in these crazy stores are acting like bass players and trying to push these on us. Next time you go to the music store and they try to push the P.O.D. on to you, ask them to sit down and see if they can actually play or not to see if they are actually bass players or DRUMMERS.
    cameron dye

11. When I go to Guitar Center, I go straight to the Wall O' Eden if I need to test something. I have a sound with which I am very happy. I have a feeling that Line 6 and Guitar Center have an...agreement that gives extra commission to employees for selling their products. Compared to the Yamaha and Johnson digital modelling amps, the Line 6 products are TOYS, so there's got to be a reason...

12. jimstick

jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    I just bought a BP 8 and I love it!! I play it with a Chapman Stick and it sounds great. The fretless sim. is weak, but I expected that. It was either the Pod or BP 8 for me(I heard too many bad things about the Pod) so I went with Digitech.

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I think the original (guitar) POD sounds fantastic for recording guitars direct, and I actually got some great overdriven bass tones out of it. I was totally unimpressed by the Bass POD, though... and I would not use either POD in a live rig. They seem much better suited to the studio.

The Line 6 delay modeler pedal is astounding for use with guitar and synth in a live setting... mmmmmmmmm... loops...

14. smpbass

smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    At least you didn't fall for zoom pedals...

15. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    First of all, your guys' first mistake was actually going to guitar center, but seriously, I have a pod and I love it. While it by no means replaces regular amps, it is great for recording direct. And besides, some seriously great players are using it now.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bass Pod....mmmmmmmmmm.....oooooooohhhh!!!! Oops...All Gone!;)

Funny story...I walked into GC yesterday armed with the item they're about to restock and went straight to the manager at the accessories counter (I worked with him last time). He said to me, "You didn't like it?":confused:, sounding completely shocked! So, I said I didn't, and he replied, "Why not?" So, I countered with, "How many reasons do you want, and do you want me to list them in front of your other customers?"

From that moment on, I got the best one-on-one service I'd ever had at GC!;) And, this guy only made an additional $25 off me!:cool:

I ended up with a Sans Amp Bass Driver (way cool!!!) and a Boss Phase Shifter (practical? don't know...cool??? heck yeah!!!:D) The Phase Shifter is something that I think with some subtleties can be used very well in real situations, and is absolutely amazing sounding in those situations. As far as the Sans Amp...see other's posts in other threads! I see what they mean! Really great!:D

17. Did you get a Boss PH-2, or the new PH-3? I've got the new AW-3 and it rocks, and I'm thinking about getting the PH-3 for extra spaciness.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm pretty sure it's the PH-3. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it's got a tap-tempo. I didn't think pedals had that feature...only more expensive rack devices.

I've had a chance to play with this for a few minutes (I wish a little longer) and I have a really cool tone now. But, when I play a note with the phase shifter on, there's some hissing...:( I don't have this thing going through my effects loop, which may or may not make much difference...I'd think it'd be a bigger issue if I had noise at all times, or at least whenever it's on, but it only happens when I actually pluck a note and it's on...:confused:

19. Yeah, the PH-3 has the tap tempo control, and tempo can be controlled with an expression pedal--sounds appealing to me.

I'm surprised about the noise. I'd run it through my effects loop anyway, but then I'd have a noise gate. Anyhow, I've decided that I probably have enough effects for now. When I get the serious jones I'm gonna go get a rackmount FX processor, probably a Rocktron Intellifex, and a MIDI foot controller.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, let me get this straight...the PH-3 DOES have tap tempo, but I have to buy more gear to utilize this? Ugh!

The noise issue is a little weird...it's not very overpowering, but for the gear I have (you know...the Spector, Fafner, etc) I want the best sound with NO weak links, ya' know? Am I asking too much?

I kind of like the Phase Shifter thing. I'm new to it...never really experimented with it before. But, I'd sacrafice this pedal for noise in a heartbeat!

I'm still considering the EBS chorus and EBS envelope filter. If they're quieter and can get a really fat, swirly kind of tone (by themselves as well as in combination with one another) then I'd rather go that route...this whole effects thing is confusing to me! Here comes another thread!