Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass pod.in or out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smooth, Nov 22, 2001.

1. smooth

smooth

Nov 22, 2001
    jax fl
    what does everyone think of the line 6 bass pod? like to hear some feedback

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i played a crappy old aria pro bass thru the non-rack version with headphones and was pretty impressed. the amp models sound great. it's a little confusing to use, and it'd be hard to change sounds on the fly unless you get the footswitch, which is another couple hundred bux, i believe. if i were going to get one, i'd get the rack version as my preamp, get a power amp, and then some halfway decent yet affordable speakers - like the alumabass closeout on MF right now...jeez...i'm about to order the 2x15...;)

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the bass tracks in my sig were recorded using a bass pod.. IMO its super easy to record with.. but not worth it if you're going to use it live.. i'd rather have a nice preamp.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    It's more of an effect's unit, isn't it? ;)

Here you go JR, an early Christmas present. :D

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the pod does take some time to get used to, but once I got used to how it operates, everything becomes very easy to manipulate... I also like it for the recording capabilities, I had it hooked to my computer this morning doing some stuff... It isn't all that expensive, and I think that it sounds wonderful! It's a good piece of gear IMO...

P@

6. I would describe it as a Multi preamp with effects. There is alot of useful tones inside of it as far as preamps, but for modulation effects and the like I would patch out from it.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been wondering about these too. How would the rackmount Pro version work as an effects unit run through my SVT4 Pro head??

Or would I be better off going with something else??

8. smooth

smooth

Nov 22, 2001
    jax fl
    I have a svt4 pro and i have a line 6 bass pod . I have found that the pod adds a lot of volume to anything you try to play it through. you could use it as a effect unit but you will need to crank your amp way down in order to get good effect sounds out. also like duelly noted before the bass pod is very difficult to change back and forth bewteen settings w/o a footboard. and that will cost more $ of course. It could be done and prob. would be effective but you see the disadvantages to it

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks Smooth.
    I will probably check around for something different to use. If we ever get ready to do more recording, I will probably check more into one of these. For now, I think I will look for something a little more focused on live performance.

10. music=energy

music=energy

Nov 25, 2001
    New Jersey
    Someone I know uses it in a live situation. He gets a "video game bass synth" type of sound out of the sud-dub option. It was subtle and fat. I dig the sound but it did seem pretty tricky to find it. But I guess if you're going to spend $250, you're to spend the time finding it.

11. i tired it a few times and really was dissapointed with it. Effects sounded plastic and amp simulation wasnt all that impressive. You can usually manage to get the same sounds with a decent eq.

12. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I'm going to come out as the majority here and recommend the POD not only as a peice of recording gear but also as a useful peice of live sound gear. The rock band I play in uses all Line 6 gear for our amps/effects rigs (Ok, I also break out a few Boss pedals from time to time, but that's besides the point. :-D). We all use the expensive, "higher-end" floorboards, so we have no problem switching to different sounds live. It's all a matter of preperation ahead of time, knowing what you might have to use in whichever setting you're playing in that night. And it's not always a matter of being a super-tweaker. In RANSOM, for example, I only use three patches, a clean solid-state amp setting, a dirty "gain all the way up", tube-amp setting, and a chorused sound. Anyway, it's all a matter of personal taste. If you like veriety and having access to many different tonal characters, then you'll love the POD. If you're a "One main Sound all the time" guy/gal you may not. Try it before you buy it.

13. Some more annecdotal Pod-play.

If you have an FX Send/Receive on your amp, try pushing sound through the Pod using that instead of plugging directly into the Pod, then out of the Pod into the Amp. I found that running my bass through the Amp's pre-amp presents a much "warmer" sound to/through the Pod.

As always, YMMV.

14. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    My only complaint about running my POD through my FX loop was that, even at low volumes, the clip light on my pod kept lighting up, I had never had that happen before, or since. I didn't really get how it sounded, because I feared frying it.

15. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I am seriously thinking about getting one of these. If only to use it as a headphone amp.
    It seems like a bargain to me when compared to the Raven PHA-1 or other headphone amp/preamps. Some of the amp models are fairly impressive. Having owned a few of these amps,they are at least close. This is only a $250 box! I have a couple pedals that cost close to that, and they are nowhere near as versatile .