Bass Pod into Power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christos, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Would this work?

Bass Pod as pre-amp into SWR Power 750.

Just wondering...

[​IMG] + [​IMG]

Second, would anyone suggest doing this?
  2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    yes it would totally work. i've thought about doing it are what i think are the pros and cons:

line pod advantages:
    1. most tones available in any preamp
    2. almost any effect you could want

line pod disadvantages:
    1. lots of sounds, but tone quality doesn't equal a demeter, or another comparable preamp.
    2. to make it really user friendly, you almost need to get the pod pro, which you can rackmount, plus it has nifty digital outs that the normal pod doesn't. plus, to change settings on the fly, you need the footswitch. the pro version plus the footswitch is going to cost alot of money - like about 850 from MF. that makes me think twice.

swr power 750 advantages:
    1. lots of really clean power.
    2. it looks spiffy

swr power 750 disadvantages:
    1. it's not stereo
    2. it's minimum impedance load is 2.67, meaning one 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab. or you could have 3 8 ohm cabs, but would have to chain one (only two speaker outs on the power 750). this is only really a disadvantage if you ever plan on using lots of cabs, or you have or would like to use two 4 ohm cabs.
    3. more or equal power can be had for less money.

all that said and done, the combo you suggest would be really cool, i think. if you do it, i'd be interested to know what you think.

3. Did not know that you would not be able to power 2 - 4 ohm cabs. Idea shot down.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Captainpabst's observation that the POD's tone would not equal a Demeter or others is a bit misguided. The POD isn't intended to be a pre-amp in its own right. It's an amp emulator intended to mimic vintage and modern amps. It does a pretty good job of this. As I've discussed here before, it can suck almost exactly the same way my old Bassman 50 sucked back in the '70s. It cannot, however, rule the same way my Eden WT-300 rules.

If your gig requires a lot of different tones for, say, oldies, the POD would be great. If you're looking for a modern jazz sound, you should buy a good pre-amp as Capt. Pabst suggests.
  5. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    yeah, that's one thing i'm not too clear on. it doesn't say 'this is a preamp' anywhere on line6's site, but at the same time, it can function as one. it has bass/mid/treble controls and a line out - it'll work, y'know? at least as well as using a sansamp box straight to an amp.

right. the amp modeling sounds on there are akin to a good photograph - looks/sounds nice but not the real deal.

the POD is alot of fun to mess with though. i like the sub-dub sound. heh. :cool:

y'know, for what it would cost to get the power750 and the bass pod (around 1200, new), you could get the aguilar hybrid head - it'll do 2 ohms. check it out at
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Line6's literature on the Bass POD Pro does suggest that it can double as a preamp.

I have been using my Pro as a preamp for more than a year now and it works great.