Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass POD Live setup HELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Murf, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Guys,
    I've been using a Bass pod for the past few months and I love it, however up until now I've been using it in the studio exclusively however I'm doing a gig in a few weeks thats being recorded and broadcast live and I'd like to use my pod for it, so how does it "cut it" in a live situation?

I'm thinking of going direct into the desk and using the stage monitors to hear myself the only problem is theres no XLR connector on the pod only a TRS, so should I use a standard guitar lead into a Di box and then to the desk or get a TRS to XLR lead and use that ?(another option is that I have a balanced Di out on my amp so should I hook the pod to my amp and then Di out from the amp?) I'm loathe to put the POD through an amp 'cos quite frankly it sounds Kack (the amp colors the tone too much and my studio settings sound awful).

Any hints from any of you guys who use the POD live?

cheers.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know much about your rig, but if you run through the amp direct out, make sure you have the pre-signal going though if you can. In other words, my amp has a switch on the back so you can select to send the pre-amped signal or dry signal through the direct out. I used to do what the sound guy told me and send the dry signal. I didn't like the way it sounded on a practice recording we did right off the board. I change my tone all the time to suit the song using my parametric. So now I send the processed signal.

In your case, you want to send out the signal dry. Even though you don't like the sound you get from your rig, you can always keep your on-stage volume down and ask the sound guy to up you in the monitors. If you have the same pre/post option as mine, that's what I'd do (send a pre-signal).

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Zulu..
    Thanks for replying,
    yeah I have a pre/post switch on my amps dI so I'll give it a try although (I probably phrased this wrong) Di ing from my amp is fine its just that I'd rather not put the POD thru the amp as the POD sounds AWFUL through it, so I suppose what I'm really asking is does the POD retain its sound quality if you go directly into the desk and if so which is the best way to do it.

Hope this makes sense..(I'm confusing myself now)

cheers

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using the Bass POD for about a year and a half live, and get the best sound I've ever gotten in 25 years of playing. Get a TRS to XLR and go direct to the board. It will give you a much better sound than a guitar cord into a DI. I've tried it both ways, and the TRS to XLR is better. And if you want, you can get two, and send both the amp model and DI outputs to the board, mixing them to get the best sound. On normal gigs, where we use my PA (too small for anything but vocals) I go BassPOD > Carvin FET1000 Power amp > Carvin 210 speaker, but on gigs with an adequate PA, I go direct with the TRS to XLR cable.

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Great stuff, thats what I wanted to hear, and the idea of sending the amp model and DI outs to the board sounds perfect as well (seeing as the gig is being recorded...sonic coolness heere I come).

ps: I assume this is with the A.I.R in direct mode?

cheers

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    "ps: I assume this is with the A.I.R in direct mode? "

Yes, it is. Good luck with your gig...

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland

(on a side note where can I get a lead singer like the one you guys have ;) ....its not fair howcome the country bands get all the best looking women...thats it I'm giving up this funk lark)

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    "where can I get a lead singer like the one you guys have "

You can't have her, she's ours....:D And she can even sing, too... not a requirement when she looks like that, but nice...:D

9. When I use my bass pod live I use a trs to xlr, I have found this to be the most trouble free interface, I send it to my power amp thet has an xlr thru and then to the PA into a custom 2 way monitor, works great every time.

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Me again,

HOLY MONKEY!!!!:eek: , I just did my first live gig with the POD..it was an 'intimate' setting..just me with my fender jazz and POD and an acoustic guitarist..we were supporting a well known 'balladeer' type here in Ireland and we were using his rig (which was HUGE), at the start of the gig the 'artists' sound guy came over and asked what bass I was using I told him and his eyes lit up, then he asked about amplification and I handed him my POD...Jeez I've never seen a soundman so happy, he had me up and running in 2 minutes and THE SOUND...was stunning..it was the first time in 10 years of gigging that people came up complementing me on my tone/overall bass sound rather than the usual "cool slap/tap.<insert technique thing here> bassline man".

And some people are dissappointed with the POD and returned it :confused:

Heres one very very happy customer :)

11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great! I'm glad everything went so well. I suspect the people that don't like it aren't using it right, i.e. plugging it into the regular input of a bass amp. If it is used as it is designed to be used, it sounds great (for those who don't know, they are designed to go into either a mixer or directly into a power amp). Some people think it is like a multi-effect unit, plug it between their bass and amp, and then wonder why it doesn't sound right. I've been playing 26 years and have the best tone I've ever had with the Bass Pod.

12. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...boy, I keep this up people are going to start calling me the POD fanatic. :D

Anouther satisfied vote for the POD in the live setting. I've been using nothing but the POD and the Line 6 floorboard as my rig since about August, and it's made my life so easy it's rediculous. Show up, plug in one cable to the board, and your ready to go. HOWEVER, if your considering doing this for a live show with a soundman you have never worked with before, be weary. Low-level soundmen tend to look at you funny when you walk in without a stack, and don't give you enough bass in the moniters to compensate. If your not sure about the sound situation, bring a small amp and plug it into the DI output of the POD for a little stage sound.

13. Low-level soundmen tend to look at you funny when you walk in without a stack, and don't give you enough bass in the moniters to compensate. If your not sure about the sound situation, bring a small amp and plug it into the DI output of the POD for a little stage sound. [/B][/QUOTE] I use a small set of in ear headphones with an extension plugged into the headphone jack to combat the no bass in the monitors, funny thing when the band complains that there isn't enuff bass they get more bass. I use a better set of headphones when recording in the studio to get as much bass as I want. ;)

14. Mr_Pink

Mr_Pink

Nov 30, 2000
    Belgium
    Four days ago I asked a shop if I could try the bass pod. Two days ago I already used it for the first time on stage ( playing four shows in a row ): took one of the presets, added a little more mid and it sounded unbelievable!!!!

I used the D.I. ( which isn't a D.I. ) output in A.I.R mode, and sent the signal straight to the P.A. : unbelievable result.

This thing is really amazing, if I have a little more monney I'm going to switch to the pod pro ( which has a better D/A and a real D.I. I believe )

15. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Here's a thing which I recently came across, while doing a live gig which was also being recorded I used the amp modeller out (in A.I.R) mode straight to the desk with my favourite sound (Amp 360 with a little tweaking) and as always my monitor mix was perfect, however my front of house sound just wasnt 'cutting through' enough (all BOOMY bass and no mids), this was bugging the hell out of me and I mentioned it to the soundman (who fortunately happened to be a bassist as well..and a damned good one at that) and he couldnt see the problem, he said it sounded fine ("and anyway youve plenty of 'soak'...whatever that means).

So I did the gig (hoping my monitor mix was reflecting the f.o.h sound in some way) only it wasnt till the last number of the gig that suddenly I heard MY SOUND perfectly, now seeing as I didnt touch my POD settings all night I couldnt figure out what was different, so, at the end of the gig I went up to the soundman and he excitedly told me that the settings I had for the last number were perfect and he was blown away with the tone I was getting...:confused: , I told him I was using the same settings all night.

Turns out HIS idea of a live bass sound was COMPLETELY different from mine and he'd spent the night battling his desk trying to get my bass to sound as HE thought it should sound instead of letting my POD do the work and it was only on the last song that his attention was distracted (he was monitoring/balancing the sound of 2 drumkits + percusssion) and he hadnt time to feck around with my bass sound...needless to say the POD kicked in and that was that.

Jeez you go out of your way to make things easy for 'em (soundmen) and they still manage to balls it up...sigh.

(on a lighter note, the recorded sound was PERFECT).

16. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had problems like that before. The worst I saw affected the guitar player more than me. The soundman insisted on taking the guitar DI *before* the amp. Our guitar player had a nice Fender Twin Reverb, and no one heard it. Just clean guitar, no effects, no distortion. Unbelievable. And don't argue with them or they will really screw your sound up. I should say that I have had many good soundmen, too. Usually, though, we play in small clubs and use my PA, so I'm the soundman. Then everybody complains about me...:D

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Those interested in using the POD as a tool for live applications, should consider saving a few extra bucks and getting the POD Pro. I have been using the POD pro for about a year now. It is the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. Yes, the Pro has XLR out as well as faster bit sampling, a nice tuner and compressor as well as a few other bells and whistles. And it racks up for safe keeping.

I like the fact that it has two complete sets of outs. I can send a line to the house with A.I.R. and other modeled line to a power amp $ cab without air.

As to the original poster. Try plugging your POD into the effects return of your amp instead of the input. You'll get a much more natural sound. This allows you to bypass the amps preamp stage and thus not color the sound.

Chas

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have had a POD Pro for about 5 months - and have never used it live yet, wasn't sure about the best way to use it!! This thread has been great - if we ever get to gig.

But, we've been trying to use it in the studio to re-amp the basslines I've put down. Haven't quite found the really good ones, as the recordings of my Spector are pretty damned good - most of te sttings we've tried don't make a lot of difference. However, we're going to perceviere (sp?) and see what we can get.

I've been dying to use the POD live though - it'll save carrying my Trace rig about...... but damn it looks and sounds good too!!!