Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!!!! Bass POD or a Guitar !!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EasyBass, Dec 11, 2001.

1. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, a question for you all....

I have come to a choice I need to make, not really need, but a 'would like choice', should I get a guitar (yes, I am a bass player, but wouldn't mind learning some guitar, but wouldn't mind, at all, playing just bass for now) or should I get a Line 6 bass pod pro? :confused: Now, another question, should I get the POD or the POD Pro, I kinda want the pro because it is rack mount, will be a little easier to use in my rack mount case rather then on its little stand thingy. ANd besides the difference is only 150, not TOO much more. Any and all your help would be GREAT!

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd buy the pod and a cheap guitar.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    serious question - what do you want the POD for? ie. what are you going to use it for? It'll be easier to answer your question once we know that... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. I'm getting a pod PRO in March.. i will use it primarily for recording :)

5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Allodox - what is it about your recorded sound now that you don't like, that you think the POD will fix?

Steve

6. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    I would like the pod becasue right now all I have been doing is playing by myself and I want to be able to change my sound in all different ways and start experementing. I think it would be a lot of fun and make different things sound better then with out a certain sound teh pod would give me... ANymore help would be great

Thanks

7. EasyBass

EasyBass

Nov 19, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Maybe there is somethign else you could suggest? I noticed that you have the Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler Pedal I was thinking aobut that for my guitar, if I got one, and bass... BUt I still like the pod a bit more... BUt then again the stompbox has the loop set up.... ALl your help would be great!

Thanks

8. well.. now you hear a clean bassguitar that sounds way to synthetic..

my putting a POD in between the bass and my computer, i can create a recorded bass that sounds just like it was being played through an amp.

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi guys,

I'm not trying to put you off buying the Pod, just clarifying what it is that you're looking for before you lay out some serious wedge on a bit of kit you don't need. The Pod gives you loads and loads of great amp and speaker sounds, and a few fairly limited effects patches. If you are looking for loads of amp sounds, then nothing on the planet does that as well as the Pod. However, a lot of people I've spoken to have bought the Pod as an effects unit/DI box, and it isn't that. If you just want an amp-like sound for recording, you might be better off with something simpler like a SansAmp and if you want an effects unit, then you definitely need something that has far more parameters that are editable - on the Pod you can't even layer the effects on top of one another...

I reviewed the BassPod for Guitarist magazine, and was really impressed with the amp modelling, but have never met a bassist with more than a couple of amps, and never met one how wished they had 15! Occasionally people hire amps for studio work, and I do know some studio players who are playing sessions that are so varied that having a vintage amp sound and a modern amp sound would be very useful, but unless the pod is answering the questions that you're asking, I hope you don't end up buying a product you don't want or need...

I think that Line 6's technology is incredible - the modelling stuff for guitar is amazing, and highly useful, but I think the bass version has a much more limited application - I may be proved wrong, as bass players start to fill in the space made possible by the new technology, but at the moment, the application seems to be limited.

And be warned, the Pod through an amp can prove problematic - the modelled sound of an 8x10 cab through a 1x15 is still going to have all the characteristics of the 1x15, just 'different' - you can't make a peavey minx sound like an Ampeg fliptop! :oops:)

hope you find the sounds you're looking for!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I recently let my retail therapy get the better of me and invested in the Bass POD Pro. I haven't really had a lot of time to play with to be fair, but to be honest I don't think I've found it as useful as I thought it was going to be!

Maybe when I get the chance to use it more my opinion will change but for now I'm not sure I did the right thing!!!! We are recording to Pro Tools, and the bass I'm using is a Spector NS-5CR. I'd laid down some tracks and we decided to 're-amp' them to see what happened. To be honest, the original DI'd bass sound was probably as good as it got - also the effects are very limited!!!

For years before this I'd been using a Boss SE-70 for all of my effects needs (Guitar and Bass). The only annoying thing I found was that changing patches caused it to cut out for about quarter of a second - this really annoyed me!!! I think for recording purposes the POD will serve me well(once I really find out what it can do!!!), but I don't think I'll use it live. I may actually invest in another multi-effects unit for live use!(D'oh!!!)

OK, longish story, but anyway - EasyBass, look before you leap!!! What do you want to do to your bass sound??? Think long and hard about it before you spend money. (I thought long and hard before replying to this thread - it's can be hard to admit you've been stoopid!). I wish I'd thought longer and harder about my needs before I splashed the cash!!!!:D

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    lately I've been playing with the idea of getting an ACME Low B2, a poweramp and a preamp in the future (can't afford that kind of acquisition at the moment and I dont want to buy the components one at a time).

I heard a lot about the B2's flatness and high fidelity and I wondered how would the Bass Pod sound through such a rig.

would the uncoloring cab and solid state poweramp let Line6's Tube modelling come out at it's best or would the sound be too cold and processed with such a setup?
    anyone ever tried it?