1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Pod or alternative

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I know there are lots of threads out there on the Bass Pod and altenatives, but none that seemed to address this issue specifically, so here goes...

I'm travelling a lot for my job these days (non-music related job), spending countless hours in hotel rooms. I figured it might be cool to travel with a bass and a headphone amp, since I don't have the opportunity to play much anymore...

So, in considering alternatives, two jumped out at me: Bass Pod XT (for specific use as a headphone amp) and the Cafe Walter. Each seems to have its pros and cons from what I can tell. What intrigues me about the Pod is the diversity of tones, a big selling point to me now. But the pain in that decision comes from the fact I can't seem to find any information about plugging in an mp3 player to play along with. That's where the Cafe Walter comes in...this unit has the ability to plug in an mp3 player, but lacks the tonal diversity of the Bass Pod XT.

What I'm asking is for people to either dispell either of my two concerns or to offer good sounding alternatives (and please don't recommend either the EBS Microbass - which costs too much for my needs or the Pocket Rockit - which didn't sound good to me).

Thanks for your help!

2. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Judging from this , I'd say not. It doesn't look like there is an aux input. The BassPod XT Live does have an aux input though, but is an extra 100 and is quite larger.

3. I take my bass on the road with me to hotel rooms whenever I'm staying longer than a night - it's a great idea.

I have a phono to mini plug adaptor and I plug straight into my laptop through the mic plug. I have figured out the right settings to get a reasonable sound with low fuss. I have tried things like AmpliTube and the like on the laptop but end up going for a straight sound cos of the low latency.

I have all my books scanned and CDs copied, a metronome (eMetro), a tuner (MiniTuner), a drum machine (Hydrogen) and a recorder (Audacity). I also have Band In A Box but I tend to just use a simple click track, metronome or backing CD for most hotel practice.

I have just recently bought the Bass PODxt Live and I absolutely love it - it has become my preamp and I use it all the time. For home practice I plug the USB into my laptop and I can both play the CD/drum machine and record back to laptop through the USB port. I plug the headphones into the POD and everything comes through that - you can also plug an MP3 player into the separate aux in, but I have never done it that way as the USB gives me a lot more control.

Having said that, I am still in two minds as to whether I would take it on the road with me as it is a decent size and is heavy - I like to travel as light as possible given I also have the bass with me. If I was going on the road for a week or more I think I would though, as I'd miss the POD too much!!

4. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I don't have the XT, but I have an original bean Bass Pod, I love it for home practice use. As for an aux input, no it doesn't have one, but, I just use the earbuds to listen to my ipod, stick those in my ears, and use some studio-style headphones for the bass playing and adjust the levels. Works like a charm for me.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's kind of disappointing, to know that Line 6 has the technology to build this feature in one version but omits it from another. If you ask me, it would make more sense to put it in the bean version, considering who's likely to use it and where...

That's just me. Thanks for figuring this out, though...I didn't know this before your post. Unfortunately, the Live version is size-prohibitive for my needs.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I owned the original bean a long time ago, but it didn't meet my needs (for very different reasons). Considering the fact that I'm looking for portability and flexibility (as well as good quality), I'm not sure the Live unit meets every one of those needs.:(

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Behringer Bass V-amp (not the pro version) 125 editable presets, good sounding amp sims, (also has models for acoustic guitar/electric guitar and keys),decent effects. Has the aux input you desire. is small and portable (comes with carry case) and only $90.

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I use a method similar to daffy with my orignal pod. I picked up an SX 3/4 size bass, the pod and a set of headphones and/or use my computer for playback and I'm set

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I also have a bass podxt and was a little miffed that i couldnt play a cd through it. My solution is to use a small mixer (behringer UB1202 or UB502 $35) and plug both cd player and pod into the mixer. It works.

Another thing i have been trying lately is using a "Y" adapater with two female ends and one male end, but I plug that into a poweramp so thats not your solution. You may be able to plug your bass into the Y adapter and the cd player into the adapter and then put the male end into the pod 1/4 input, it should work, but I have not tried that.

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I use the Korg PX4B Bass Pandora Effects Processor.

I plug my iPod into the Aux-in (and can change keys of the songs played). It has headphone outputs, but I feed this into my practice amp for my headphone usage.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=PX4B

11. $10 to $20 gets you a used Rockman Bass Ace or for more you can get the original Bass Rockman which has some cool F/X and more flexible I/O, but it is a bit harder to find. I own one of each.

There are several Bass Aces on the bay. Here is one example. Certainly the cheap way out and less worry if it gets lost or stolen on the road.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockman-Bass-Ac...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Peace,
    S

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You could look at a Tascam Bass Trainer.

I have one, and it's great to take on the road as a practice unit for headphones. It has a CD player, and you can "loop" sections to nail down parts, which is pretty handy.

When I travel, I take the Bass Trainer, some headphones, a few CDs, and my Steinberger. It's a pretty small package, and lots of fun to have around.

13. Looking at the pic, the PODxt has a USB port - that means it will do the same digital I/O that I use for practice. I don't know if you take a laptop with you on the road but you will be able to use the USB to send your music from the laptop to the POD, as if it was an aux in.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    After all the hoopla, I decided to get a Cafe Walter...I got it with a 3-day trial period, so I figured if I don't like it, there's a return policy.

Anyway, I plugged it in to my bass (a brand new 5-string LPB Lakland DJ from Brian at The Low End) and it sounds amazing! It was a lot cheaper than the Pod, and while it doesn't have the flexibility, it's really a neat little box. My Lakland sounds awesome, and I'm not regretting the purchase one bit.

Definitely a big thumbs up for this box!:hyper:

15. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Having used both of them, I would have made the same decision. Those cafe walter headphone amps are great for cleaning up your tone, they can also be brutal in that regard.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, let's just say it's glaringly obvious that I'm playing a bass I'm not yet used to...the subtle difference of the 35" scale DJ over the 34" of my Jerzy and Spector is showing up...

Nonetheless, it sounds phenomenal!

For kicks, I may add my SABDDI in front of the Cafe Walter.